Chrome plug-in hangs

Options

Sometimes when I click on the 1password plug-in in Chrome, the plug-in will display a box (as usual) but then it will only show a "spinner" in the center of the box and will hang like that indefinitely.

I suspect that this may occur if network access has been disturbed at some point but even after network access has been restored, the plug-in will remain in this state.

Rebooting the machine will usually address the issue, but that's a fairly heavy price to pay.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: 109.0.5414.125 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:chrome plugin hangs

Comments

• Hey @johncostanzo,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in your browser. Can you start by letting me know if you have the 1Password desktop app installed as well?

• johncostanzo
    johncostanzo
    Community Member
    Options

I do not have the 1Password desktop app installed.
    I'm running on a Chromebook and I believe the recommendation is to use only the plug-in.

• Thank you for getting back to me @johncostanzo. Can you try the following to see if it improves things:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose 'Settings'.
    2. Disable 'Integrate with 1Password app'
    3. Test to see if things work as expected.

Let me know how you get on!

• johncostanzo
    johncostanzo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice, @steph.giles.

In order to do as you asked in response to issue 676780 , I had to first restart the browser (actually, I rebooted the machine) since the plug-in was nonresponsive.

But then I was able to follow your directions.

However, it does not seem to have fixed the issue. The plug-in was responsive for a while but now no longer is.

Do you have an expected date for a fix?

• Hey @johncostanzo,

I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• johncostanzo
    johncostanzo
    Community Member
    Options

Logged via BitBot as [#MQM-46676-792]

• joshf
    joshf
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same issue in Brave. Sometimes disabling/reenabling the extension works, but not always. This just started in the last week or two and had been working as expected prior to that.

• Hey @joshf,

I'm sorry for the trouble, could you please also follow the steps above to send us a diagnostics report and a console log so we can do some further investigation?

Please send the reports in an email message to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread. Thank you!

• joshf
    joshf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I emailed support with the diagnostics. Support ID: [#BEN-26342-852]

Just to note, there's no status or information to be shared in the console log. The extension either locks up like in the screenshot above or stops responding altogether until I disable it and then re-enable it (to mixed success).

I've seen this issue on two separate machines that were working fine up until recently. Both on Brave with the extension and Mac app.

• Thank you for the update @joshf, the team will be in touch soon.

ref: BEN-26342-852

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member
    Options

I've been having the same issue for the last 3-5 weeks or so. Looking at reviews here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-–-password-mana/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa seems like several others are also having the issue. Hopefully you're already getting close to a fix because 1password in the browser has been mostly unusable for weeks.

• joshf
    joshf
    Community Member
    Options

@Kevin10 Support directed me to the beta version of the extension, which seems to have fixed the issue for me. At least, I was able to use it for the past day without an issue. Progress!

May I ask you to try removing the 1Password extension from Brave, and then install the beta version? Our development team has released a few fixes in the beta version that may help improve the performance.

1Password Support - Install a beta release of the 1Password extension

• Thanks for sharing this @joshf.

@kevin10, can you let us know if the beta improves things for you?

Use 1Password beta releases

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, Chrome is my pane into basically all of my work. I typically have about 250-300 tabs going in Chrome, I can't be a beta tester for a Chrome extension.
    Please let me know when the production version is updated and I will reinstall it. In the meantime, I'm getting by without the browser extension but it is annoying.

• johncostanzo
    johncostanzo
    Community Member
    Options

I use many browser plugins. 1password support suggested that I methodically disable only one at a time.

It looks like the Grammarly plugin was causing interference with the 1password plugin: when I disable Grammarly, 1password is no longer non-responsive.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Kevin10, I can understand why the beta version of the extension is not always a good fit. I'd like to ask some questions to better understand why things are hanging and to see if it's possible to resolve the issue without the beta version of the extension.

1. Did the hanging behavior just start recently, or has this always been an issue?
    2. Does this behavior occur if the 1Password extension is disabled in Chrome?
    3. Does this behavior occur if you do not have as many tabs open?
    • I understand why you would have many tabs open. I am only asking to see where the issue may be coming from.
    1. Do you use the 1Password desktop app?
    2. Do you have any other extensions installed in Chrome? If so, what are they?
    3. Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs on your computer?
    4. Do you use a proxy or VPN?

I look forward to getting the above details.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@johncostanzo Glad to hear you found the extension that was conflicting with 1Password. I hope things are well now.

• johncostanzo
    johncostanzo
    Community Member
    Options

It turns out I was wrong about that extension: the 1Password extension continues to hang.

I've now experienced problems accessing 1Password with every single method and operating system I've attempted to use.

I'm giving up on it.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @johncostanzo, I'm really sorry to hear that the hanging is back. I can understand your frustration. I know I would be frustrated in your situation too. I would love to take another look at what's happening and help from there.

If you're still up for it, please send us an support@1password.com. Please include the following if possible:

Once you send an email, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please let me know what that Support ID number is, and I'll make sure that we respond soon. Thanks for your time and patience.

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Joy_1P - See below for the answers to your questions. I finally re-installed the latest version of the browser add-on after using just the desktop app for the last month. The browser add-on is still acting up. I thought maybe I was able to find a consistent reproduction tied to opening Chrome DevTools (which I use as part of my job every day), but now I'm not so sure. Note that in devtools, when the add-on is working, I'm frequently seeing a lot of console log messages output by the add-on. I don't remember seeing those back before this problem started. When the add-on is locked up, typically (but not always) nothing gets output to the console log either. If you haven't noticed, the reviews on the extension in the Chrome Web Store continue to rack up 1-star reviews of people complaining about basically the same thing I'm reporting. This is not an isolated case.

1. Did the hanging behavior just start recently, or has this always been an issue?
      Started in Early February or Late January.

2. Does this behavior occur if the 1Password extension is disabled in Chrome?
      No. The 1Password extension in Chrome is specifically the thing that is having an issue.... Disabling the extension in Chrome then it goes away and there is nothing left to get hung up. Re-enabling the extension will often make it start working for a time, but not long and it becomes unresponsive again. When I say unresponsive, I mean for instance that the 1password logo shows up in the username box but no autocomplete options dropdown show. Clicking that icon in the username box, nothing happens. Clicking over to the password field, the icon moves along with the cursor, but still no autocomplete dropdown. Clicking the icon there, nothing happens. Clicking the 1password icon next to the address bar, it gets highlighted with a grey background but otherwise nothing happens. No popup dialog as normal. Switch to another tab or browser window and click on that icon, nothing happens. Sometimes when I click that icon, I do get a empty white popup with just a loading indicator but it never loads. Sometimes when it gets hung up, I don't even get the 1password logo in the username box. Reloading the tab doesn't help. Switching to another browser window doesn't help.

3. Does this behavior occur if you do not have as many tabs open?
      I always have that many tabs open. I've had that many tabs going on 2-3 years straight. I'm not going to bookmark them all just so I can close them all to test this, sorry. I had the browser extension working with those tabs open for quite some time until recently.

4. I understand why you would have many tabs open. I am only asking to see where the issue may be coming from.

5. Do you use the 1Password desktop app?
      Yes.

6. Do you have any other extensions installed in Chrome? If so, what are they?
      Yes, "Malwarebytes Browser Guard" and "GoFullPage - Full Page Screen Capture" but I tried disabling both of them and the issue still persists.

7. Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs on your computer?
      Yes, Malwarebytes endpoint protection under a Malwarebytes business subscription.

8. Do you use a proxy or VPN?
      Yes, VPN is used at times, but not frequently. It does not correlate to when the issue appears.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kevin10, thanks for the info. We're not saying that the issue is isolated. However, there are a lot of different reasons why the extension may be acting up. We do have to look at your setup individually in order to determine what is going on.

Does this behavior occur if you do not have as many tabs open?
    I always have that many tabs open. I've had that many tabs going on 2-3 years straight. I'm not going to bookmark them all just so I can close them all to test this, sorry. I had the browser extension working with those tabs open for quite some time until recently.

If you are unable to test that, can you tell us if you notice any issues with your computer's memory with all those tabs open? Do you use 1Password in any other browsers and if so, does the issue occur there when there are only a small number of tabs open?

Again, our goal isn't to have you close the tabs -- we want to see if that is where the issue is coming from.

Do you have any other extensions installed in Chrome? If so, what are they?
    Yes, "Malwarebytes Browser Guard" and "GoFullPage - Full Page Screen Capture" but I tried disabling both of them and the issue still persists.

Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs on your computer?
    Yes, Malwarebytes endpoint protection under a Malwarebytes business subscription.

Can you temporarily turn off those other extensions, turn off your Malwarebytes antivirus, reproduce the issue with 1Password in your browser, and then send us the following for further investigation?

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• joshf
    joshf
    Community Member
    Options

I'm again having the exact same experience as @Kevin10 . The beta plugin worked for like a day or two and then this same issue came back.

One thing I noticed is that when the Brave extension becomes unresponsive, it becomes unresponsive in Firefox as well. During this time, the 1Password app works as expected.

I'm seeing this issue on two different computers: Mac Intel and Mac Apple Silicon. My coworkers have a very similar setup but haven't experienced these issues.

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Joy_1P

1. No issues with system memory, no.

2. I added the 1password add-on to Firefox and that has been working fine even while the Chrome add-on is hung up and doing nothing.

3. I Uninstalled Malwarebytes, Disabled all other Chrome extensions, Updated to the latest version of MacOS Monterey, updated to the latest version of Chrome, and did a fresh reboot. The problem with the Chrome add-on still persists.

4. I've generated the requested logs along with some screenshots with timestamps to correlate to those logs. I will note that I was seeing some 1password console logs in my regular inspector window, even before enabling developer mode in the Manage Extensions pane. I included those as well, the filenames tell the difference. I also saved off a copy of the network logs from the extension inspector window as a HAR file, but I did not send that along in my email to support because I didn't know if those network headers and cookies could contain secret information that should not be shared. I did notice some 404 errors in the network pane during my testing, FYI.

5. I noticed frequent statements in the console logs that the service worker was being reloaded due to a setting (Application > Service Workers > Update on reload). It appears that setting is not on by default so I've disabled it and will report back after a few days if that has made a significant improvement.

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member
    Options

Support Ticket Number: 127550

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member
    Options

End of day status update : Having that Service Workers setting unchecked has produced good results so-far. Fingers crossed!

• Thank you for the update @Kevin10, let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.