List items from set of vaults

Options
misterJJ
misterJJ
Community Member

Hi,
I feel like I must be overlooking something as this seems quite simple.

I'm using the command op vault list --group groupname --format=json | op vault get -

The command retrieves a list of vaults, but how do i go from this to getting a list of all the items in those vaults?

Hoping someone can help :)

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @misterJJ,

To get a list of items from your vaults, we can give these steps a try.

1. We will leverage jq to help us retrieve vault IDs from JSON. jq is a command line tool used to process JSON. Please have a look here to learn more and to install

2. After that, we can then create a list of vaults a group has access to, then use jq to extract the vault ids and put them in a file.

op vault list --group <group name> --format json |\
    op vault get - --format json |\
    jq '.id' | sed 's/"//g' > list.txt

1. Finally, you can get items list from vault IDs in the file and remove the file.
    cat list.txt | while read line; do
      op item list --vault $line
    done
    rm list.txt

Best regards,
    Nhat Nguyen.
    https://support.1password.com/

• misterJJ
    misterJJ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Nhat_Nguyen,

Thank you for the help. I was trying something similar through bash, but JQ will certainly make it easier.

I can't help wonder why the CLI tool doesn't support nested commands such as in this example.

It's basically just inserting the result from the op vault get - command into the op item list --vault command.

Do you know if there are any plans to enable this type of nesting in the commands?

Best regards,
    Joachim

This discussion has been closed.