Why is it so monstrously difficult to manage two 1P accounts on the same computer?

I'm relatively new to 1P (one month or so) but am an extremely experienced computer user/programmer. I recently came over from LastPass and am very impressed with 1P's functionality and interface. Well, with about 90% of it. The other 10% is a nightmarish quagmire of teeth-gnashing and hair-pulling.

My major difficulty is trying to maintain two 1P accounts (mine and Mom's) on the same computer. She has her own computer with the 1P Chrome extension but I often need to make changes to items in her vault and it's far preferable to do that locally. She has a separate login and secret key, of course. But if, on my own computer, I open her vault (in the 1P standalone app) then my own browser extension switches to her account. Switching back is not intuitive, to put it mildly. I just spent 20 frustrating minutes trying to figure out how and finally just completely uninstalled/reinstalled the 1P app and extension. Can this seemingly simple task be accomplished more simply? This is one way that LastPass, for all its problems, did a much better job than 1P. But I'm happy to be corrected.

1Password Version: (uninstalled)
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Browser:_ Chrome 109.0.5414.120

Comments

• Hey @scerwin,

I'm sorry for the trouble.

1Password in your browser integrates directly with your 1Password app which is helpful in most cases as you only need to sign in to your 1Password account in one place. This does however mean in your scenario, if you sign in to your Mom's account then you will also be signed in in your browser. You can see which account you are signed in to if you click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and then click the 1Password icon in the top left hand corner of this window.

My suggestions here would be either to disable the integration with your 1Password desktop app (Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar > Settings > Turn off 'Integrate with 1Password app') however, this means when using your own account in your 1Password app you will need to sign in to your browser separately. Alternatively, if you right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings and scroll down to the Accounts and Vaults section you can disable your Mom's vaults so these items won't show.

I hope this helps.

• scerwin
    scerwin
    Community Member

Hi steph.giles,

Many thanks for your helpful reply. But I'm still flummoxed.

Turning off 'Integrate with 1P app' sounded promising so I did that. Then I reinstalled the 1P app (after uninstalling it last week) and started it. The bare-bones splash screen simply says 'Enter your password' but it's completely unclear who 1P thinks 'you' is here bc there's no field for an account name or email or anything else. My password didn't work but Mom's did. Huh!?!? Why? Did my uninstalling it leave some cached information about who the 1P app was last associated with? I could live with that (although it sounds like a bad idea) but there is no obvious way to switch the app to a different account. What do you recommend?

• gmagana
    gmagana
    Community Member

OMG also going through this, and also with my mom's 1Password account. It is sort of ridiculous that the best way to have me manage my mom's 1Password is to set up a virtual machine on my computer so that 1Password maintains its assumption that people only access one account at a time on a computer.

BTW: 1P should really have a "nice little old lady who is computer illiterate" version of your product. We wouldn't be having this conversation if such a variant existed and my mom could manage it on her own :-).

• Hi @scerwin,

Apologies for the delay here. You can find instructions to remove the entirely of 1Password's data from your device here: How to uninstall 1Password

If you and @gmagana are open to it, I'd recommend using a 1Password Family account. You can set up shared vaults and thus manage items on behalf of family members without having to worry about signing in and out of different accounts. I do this for some family members so here are some examples:

• I have a shared vault with my dad. He has his own account and thus his own Private vault, but I set up his app and browser extension to save new items in that shared vault by default so I can help organize/make changes from my own app.
    • I also have a shared vault with my grandfather. If he needs something while I'm visiting, I can access the data from the 1Password app on my own phone. Since he doesn't need to add new items and we want to avoid the risk of him making any accidental changes, I set his permissions on that vault to view-only.

When I want to view my own items in isolation, I use a collection to group those vaults separately, this includes my Private vault and the vault I share with my spouse. Similarly, I uncheck my family members' vaults in my browser extension settings since I don't want their information showing up in my autofill suggestions. Here are some related links:

Let me know if you give these a try or have any questions. 😊

• scerwin
    scerwin
    Community Member

Hi andrew.l_1P,

A million thanks for your excellent suggestions. I've set up mom just like you set up your dad, and everything is now working perfectly. Thanks again for responding, you've made me appreciate the 1P design even more.

• Hey @scerwin,

That's great! On behalf of Andrew, you are most welcome.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all and have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.