Android Firefox and Microsoft Logins

Options
theorician
theorician
Community Member

I use 1Password on my Android to autofill passwords. This usually works fine. In the last few months though, logins to Microsoft via

https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/v2.0/authorize

do not fill in the password field. It has the look and feel of it filling the password field and even copies the otp to my clipboard, but the password field remains blank.

Versions:

1Password:
1Password for Android 8.10.0 (81000052)
Firefox:
109.2.0 (Build #2015930059), a66807eeb+
AC: 109.2.0, 06a7d70e25
GV: 109.0.1-20230127170202
AS: 96.1.3
Android: Google Pixel 5 running Android Version 13 build TQ1A.221205.011

Comments

• theorician
    theorician
    Community Member
    Options

To get to the MS login page, hit Sign In on this page here:

https://account.microsoft.com/account/Account

• theorician
    theorician
    Community Member
    Options

To add to the above: it works sometimes and it doesn't work other times and I have absolutely no idea what causes it to work and what doesn't. I've tried the obvious things: restarting phone, restarting browser, restarting 1Password, but sometimes it feels like filling in the field and sometimes it doesn't.

• Hey @theorician, thanks for reaching out here in the Forum!

You mentioned both a password and an OTP. To clarify, are you trying to fill the password field of your Microsoft Login to Microsoft's password page or trying to fill an OTP to log in to Microsoft since you have 2FA set up with 1Password?

• theorician
    theorician
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_audrey normal behavior as you know is that when you fill the password field, the password field is filled, and the OTP is copied to the clipboard.

In this case, the password field is not actually being filled, but the OTP is being copied to the clipboard. That means that 1P thinks everything is going well, otherwise the OTP would not be copied.

• Hey @theorician, thanks for getting back to me.

I've tested the Microsoft site in Firefox and am oddly seeing different behaviour. I've also tested in Chrome, where it works as expected. I'm wondering if the issue is specific to Firefox, so would you mind testing another browser?

• theorician
    theorician
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_audrey Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah - it works just fine in Chrome. Are you seeing expected behaviour in Firefox? I've not tested Firefox Nightly yet but that's also worth a try.

• Brrry
    Brrry
    Community Member
    Options

It doesn't work with Edge and Bing browsers. Come on, 1Password team, just bring back the keyboard.
    Don't expect to fix autofill for every single website, browser, or app because there is no fix; you will just consume all your resources.
    If I remember correctly, LastPass and Dashlane used to have an auto-change password feature and ended up scrapping it because every single website is different

• Hi @theorician, I tested this with Chrome, Firefox, Edge and DuckDuckGo. In Firefox I can reproduce the behavior you described but the others worked as expected for me. It looks like Autofill does fill the field but it is then cleared almost instantly. I've gone ahead and reported this to the team for further review.

Thanks for your input @Brrry! While I'm not sure the keyboard is something we would bring back, we are interested in other quick filling options when Autofill isn't available. At the moment, if Autofill isn't available you can copy and paste or use split screen mode to drag and drop your credentials.

You mentioned automatically changing passwords which I believe is a separate topic and not something 1Password directly provides. My colleagues covered this in detail in this thread if you're interesting in reading more: https://1password.community/discussion/87083/automatic-password-changing

• theorician
    theorician
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy thanks! I'm glad you were able to reproduce. Looking forward to the fix. :)

• Brrry
    Brrry
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy Quick filling option, The big question is when? Split screen is not a remedy.
    The company should prioritize this over other feature.

• ag_audrey
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hey @theorician, we're looking forward to the Autofill improvements too!

@Brrry, we really appreciate your input here. Although we cannot promise any timelines, our product team has been looking into the different quick filling options. Split screen is a simple, temporary workaround that we recommend as we continue improving the Autofill experience.

• theorician
    theorician
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy @ag_audrey any updates on this? It's really, really annoying.

• Hi @theorician, thanks for following up with us.

Are you still seeing the behavior where the password is filled then removed? If so, we're limited in what we can do there as 1Password is filling but that information is then being removed by another factor.

Additionally, I'm not seeing that behavior in the current version of Firefox:

Are you signing into a personal Microsoft account or one associated with an organization?

• theorician
    theorician
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for following up.

I can confirm: login.live.com works on a private account. (Firefox 112.2 and 1P 8.10.4). It does not work for an organisation account via login.microsoftonline.com. Perhaps whatever domain-specific work you guys did for live.com needs to be applied to microsoftonline.com? Just a wild guess. :)

Thanks again.

PS: Different thing. When not logged in to the forums here and writing a comment, hitting 'comment as' will let me log in and then completely wipes my comment.

• Hi @theorician, thanks for confirming that.

I'll pass these details along to the team here so we can look into options to address this from our end. In the mean time copying and pasting or drag and drop can help as an alternative. My apologies for any inconvinience.

When not logged in to the forums here and writing a comment, hitting 'comment as' will let me log in and then completely wipes my comment.

I'm not seeing the same when signing in via the "comment as" button. I suspect your message was caught by the spam or auto-moderation filter. Have you noticed this on multiple occasions or just the last post here?

• theorician
    theorician
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy Just getting back to you on this - the past few days it seems as though autofill has been working consistently again. Looks like this issue is solved, thanks!

As for the PS: what happens when I click on 'Comment as' is a popup comes up which asks me to sign in. This popup goes away immediately though, and the page refreshes to a proper sign in page, with my comment being gone. However, that might be any of a variety of extensions I have enabled so we can probably just call that a user problem.

Thanks for the help!

• Thanks for the update @theorician! I'm glad to hear things are running a bit smoother for you.

In regards to the forum sign in, I'll leave a note for the team so we can keep an eye for further reports. Let us know if there's anything we can help with and thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.