Account Switch or Multiuser within Family subscription

Ronso
Ronso
Community Member

Hi all,
I have read different questions and answers on the topic in the forum asked over the last years.
I came from Bitwarden and am now for about 1 year 1Password user.
Overall I am very satisfied (despite the bumpy start of 1Password8 ;-)), but one thing bothers me a lot and that is the multi-user support.

We have a family account consisting of 5 members. Me, I (Work), My Wife, MyWife (Work) and Son.
I am logged in to my work PC with my Work account. At the end of the day I would like to use the PC privately (we are allowed to do that).
Now I would like to change the account or somehow access it in the app. Unfortunately, this is not possible.

What works well with Bitwarden or other providers becomes a real science with 1Password.
1Password recommends to create separat OS User Account, but I can't do this on my Work PC.

There is always talk about security reasons and features that would no longer work, but I think with various settings and options an implementation would not be a problem.
The problem already starts that my family name is displayed in the app as logged in account.
In my family configuration, everyone has a unique display name that could be displayed.
Also, my own safe name could change to private + display name. There are just several possible ways to organize this differently.

I know you can access 1Password.com directly or via browser extensions, but that doesn't replace the beautiful app.
And just the fact that these ways work increases my lack of understanding that there is no real multiuser support for the app.

As I said, there have been a few posts about this now and I really think you should leave it up to the customer how they want to configure it.
Especially in this day and age, where private and work life are moving closer together and mobile working is increasing, I think 1Password needs to become more dynamic and flexible.
I wish to see this feature in the future and remain with very kind regards to the team.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

If you want to change roles within 1Password, consider using one single login and multiple vaults. One vault or set of vaults for your private data, one vault or set of vaults for your business data. Then create a collection for your private vault(s) and another collection for your business vault(s) and after work or when starting work, switch collections to switch to your other data set.

Unfortunately, collections are not supported by the desktop browser extension (here you need to switch vaults manually), but they are supported by the mobile apps.

• Ronso
    Ronso
    Community Member

Hi @Tertius3 thank you for the tip. I was thinking about doing it, but ended up to better use 2 different Users, with there own complex passwords for security reasons.

This discussion has been closed.