Having trouble being able to enter an Authentication Code to authenticate my 1P Account (1P8)

Options
jmjm
jmjm
Community Member

I have been a long time user of 1P7 for Android (13) (and Windows and Chrome). Today I decided to make the plunge and move up from 1P7 to 1P8.

I downloaded 1P8 for Android from the Google Play Store and after installing it asks for my (Master) password (to authenticate my account for my Android phone). That's fine but then it prompts me to use either a hardware key or to enter an Authentication Code...that seems reasonable as well as I had previously set up both way back. I choose to use the Authentication code option (I use AEGIS). And so I swipe to get to the AEGIS app and copy the 6 digit code but going back to 1P I am always back to the 1P8 screen having to again enter my (master) password :(. I am at a loss on how I can get to the screen where I can actually input the TOTP to complete the authentication :(.

I must be missing something simple.

1Password Version: 1P8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 13
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE: I gave up trying to use an authenticator code to finish the authentication on my phone and instead used the previously established hardware key. It worked just fine as I didnt need to go to another app.

• Hey @jmjm, thank you for reaching out and for the update! Apologies for the frustrating experience in the first place, but so glad to see you were able to sign in to 1Password 8 for Android.

If you ever need your 2FA code to sign in to 1Password for Android again, you can use split screen mode to keep both 1Password and AEGIS open, copy your TOTP, then paste it into 1Password.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

Using the "split screen" is a good idea @ag_audrey but as I recall when I left the 1P8 authentication screen it showed up black when swiping to see the app again...not sure why.

(As well, it took a long time to enable successfully fingerprint biometrics. I was about to post an inquiry and then I noticed that it 'worked').

• antdking
    antdking
    Community Member
    Options

Also facing the same issue (migrating 1password to work profile with OTP enabled).
    Split-screen sort-of-works, but isn't enough when you need to source from 2 apps (can't switch the bottom app, Pixel 6).
    Eventually managed to do it, but took a few efforts, and a lot of frustration.

FYI: when writing this up, I lost all the content when posting the comment as I wasn't signed in on the forum yet.

• @jmjm, a black screen definitely doesn't seem right. Would you mind elaborating?

@cybo, thank you for your patience, and apologies for all of the frustration you've gone through. If you have any suggestions for how we can improve this experience, we'd love to hear it!

• antdking
    antdking
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_audrey the suggestion would be "preserve the sign-in form when changing between apps". Or preserve the data we've already entered so that when AndroidOS reaps the activities, you can restore to where we left off.

Whichever, so long as we end up on a screen to input the data we left the 1p app to go fetch.

• Hi @cybo, thanks for following up with us.

We have an issue open investigating the the behavior described here where the account password is re-requested when focus is switched. It doesn't appear to be a universal issue and isn't expected behavior. I can definitely see the added difficulties when going between a work and personal profile. My apologies for the trouble.

ref: dev/core/core#20241

• antdking
    antdking
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy,
    no worries, I know that Android can be difficult. I've provided some replication steps that may work for you.

Disclosing that I'm on 1password Beta 81001019 (8.10.1). It's safe to assume my previous report was also from a Beta build.

• Turns out, if you join the Beta channel on your personal profile on the Play Store, the work profile will use the Beta APKs instead of the stable release. Sorry for not flagging sooner, this was totally unexpected.

replication

I've just gone through the steps again, and also struggle to replicate.
    I'm able to replicate the previous behaviour by enabling "Don't keep activities" in Developer Options.
    Using this to replicate Android clearing activities when the system is under pressure.

Device: Google Pixel 6
    Android Version: 13 (5th February, TQ1a.23.02.02.002)
    1password: 81001019

steps (with "don't keep activities" enabled):
    1. open 1password
    2. click: Sign In
    3. click: Enter account details
    4. enter an email address
    5. Switch to another app (ie, to get the Secret Key)
    6. Switch back to 1password

expect: come back to the "enter account details" page with previous data filled
    actual: 1password opens with the initial "sign in" screen

Alt-replication with existing accounts

Adding an additional account has similar problems, with an interesting bug along the way:
    1. open 1password
    2. open top-right menu (extra bug: the icon isn't there until interacting with the app after load)
    3. click: Manage Accounts... (opens "Accounts" page)
    4. click: Add an Account (opens "Sign In" page)
    5. click: Enter Account Details (opens "Enter Account Details" page)
    6. enter an email address
    7. switch to another app
    8. switch to 1password: presented with the "Sign In" page, data is lost
    9. press "back" (as-in the Android Back button): Opens the "Enter Account Details" page, but no data

Step 9 is interesting. I'd expect pressing "back" here to take me to the "Sign In" page.
    You can also skip steps 5+6, keep switching between 1password and another app, and end up with a stack of "Sign In" pages, as a new page gets added every time 1password opens.

Happy to pull logs or dump any settings if wanted.

Hope this helps in some way!

• Thanks for providing all of these details, @antdking!

Your steps align with our understanding of the issue, so I've passed your additional feedback along to our development team. Again, we apologize for the trouble. Although I cannot share any timelines for a fix, we hope to see one released soon.

This discussion has been closed.