Autofill UX: Ability to close suggestion box

Options

Sometimes 1P gets it wrong and pops up an autofill box by mistake. I'm not expecting 1P to be perfect on every possible web site, so I'm not asking to be fixed for this web site., What I'm asking is for a way to close the autofill popup without leaving the field I'm in. Here's an example:

The 1P pop up is popping up on a mailing address field that has autocompletion by the web site, and 1P is blocking my view of the site's suggestions, preventing me from choosing the correct item on the site's list. There seems to be no way to close/hide the 1P popup other than to leave the field, which causes the site's own drop down to disappear. If I go back to the field, then the 1P popup reappears over the site's own dropdown list again. So 1P always blocks my view and I have to click a random item to see if I chose the right element.

Sometimes I get a "No Items to Show" popup like this, other times I get a list of random 1P record shown which further obstructs my view of the site's suggested items.

I'm asking if 1P could add an "X" button on the top right to hide any field popup like this so that we can just dismiss 1P if its autofill does not apply. I know that I can go to the browser extension and disable autofill, but that's too many mouse clicks for doing something this simple, plus it's a long-term change (unless I remember to re-enable autofill afterwards). All I want to do is close the suggestion list that pops up.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@gmagana

Have you clicked on the 1Password icon far right in the field? It toggles show/hide for the extension.

• gmagana
    gmagana
    Community Member
    Options

Ah nice! yeah that works... It's pretty bad UX to not follow established UI patterns, but at least I have my answer. thanks.

• Glad to hear that @MrC 's suggestion worked for you @gmagana.

Additionally, it sounds like you may have 1Password set to show automatically when a field is in focus. If that's the case, you can prevent this using the following steps:

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    2. Scroll down to the Autofill section and ensure "Show autofill menu on field focus" is toggled off.

This will prevent the menu from showing automatically and can give you more control over when the 1Password menu is visible as you can toggle it by clicking the 1Password icon within the field as mentioned earlier.

Let us know if this improves your experience.

• gmagana
    gmagana
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @david.m_1P, thanks for the reply. I saw I could do that, but that prevents any pop up from showing up, does it not? If so, then it's a nuclear solution to solve just a minor annoyance on a site. If I turn that off, then I need to remember to reenable it afterward. All I was talking about is an "X" button on the top right of the pop up (or some other way to close it that has obvious UI) so that I can see what's behind the pop up.

Like I mentioned above, clicking on the 1P icon shown on the right side of the textbox does exactly what I'm asking about, but it does not follow normal UI design: A user would not normally think to click on that to close the pop up. Ok, some users click on everything rather recklessly, but Imm not one of those, lol.

Thanks!

• david.m_1P
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi @gmagana,

Thanks for your reply!

To clarify, toggling off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" setting will only prevent suggestions from automatically appearing when the field is in focus. You will still have access to these suggestions by toggling the menu on by clicking the 1Password icon in the field.

I can see what you're saying in respect to the UI design and appreciate you taking the time to provide that feedback. I have passed it along to our Product team for further consideration.

ref: 31196788

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member
    Options

I had to search the forum to discover that I need to click the icon to close the autofill popup. I had no clue. Probably lots of people experience this and never even realize there's a forum to search for help. I would expect either a "Close" button in top-right of popup or a "Close" entry at the top/bottom of the suggestions list, or both.

• Hey @nukmicah,

Thank you for your feedback, I understand what you are saying and I have passed your suggestion on to the product team

In your screenshot it looks like 1Password may be showing in a field where it shouldn't be, are you able to point me at the page to take a look?

Thank you!

ref: PB33110947

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member
    Options

Am I able to send it to you in an email or private message?

• Thanks for getting back to me @nukmicah,

Of course, please send it to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member
    Options

[#JYN-28753-587]

• Thanks @nukicah,

I have located your ticket, the team will be in touch soon.

ref: JYN-28753-587

This discussion has been closed.