To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New Member - Imported from Last Pass - Now Can't Connect to Cloud

Options
Diesel
Diesel
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Memberships

Hello,

I recently came from LastPass and imported all my information successfully into the desktop app. I installed 1Password on my Chrome and Firefox browsers, and also my Android phone.

While using Watchtower in the desktop app, I was updating a bunch of passwords in the browser, and about halfway through I lost connection to the cloud. The cloud icon is red and I'm stuck in a "can't connect/reconnect" loop, which is causing issues with using the correct credentials for websites. I've locked/unlocked the app and extensions everywhere several times, and I've rebooted several times.

I'm a highly annoyed, as this is the first impression for a new user to your platform. This application was highly touted by many, and I'm having issues using the core functionality of it simply by using it for what it's for. Now I have half locally changed passwords that aren't synced with the cloud, which will make migrating away to another product even more of a mess.

Why can't I connect to the cloud? Where do I send these diagnostic reports to?

There was another thread I cannot find now, where I was to test a URL for you all, and I did, and it said "Forbidden". I'm sure that's related, but I can't find the thread now, sorry.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

In two years of 1Password use, I never encountered even a single situation where I couldn't connect to the cloud when I was actually online with my internet connection. The cloud connection appears as rock stable, and the sync mechanism as well, as changes in one app instantly appeared in all other apps and devices as well. Using Windows 10/11 and Android phone here.

So if you have connection issues, I would say it's something with your network connection, not with 1Password. May be some firewall issue (a semi-regular thing for Windows systems), wifi issue, or ISP issue.

• @diesel

Please send the diagnostics report to support+forum@1password.com and we can help look into the cause. As @Teritus3 mentioned this is very likely a network issue such as a VPN. If you have one in use, disconnect from the VPN, does the sync return? You may need to give it a few minutes to recover. I've always found it to be much less time than that, but networks can be finicky. If it's not a VPN the next most common reason I've seen is a proxy or over protective firewall. The logs will hopefully shed some light on that.

Here's the instructions should you need them.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password preferences will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: diesel
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/138214/new-member-imported-from-last-pass-now-cant-connect-to-cloud#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Diesel
    Diesel
    Community Member
    Options

Tertius, thanks for your reply. It was working fine for about an hour, and that's when I got the connection issues. I'm not sure if it's related to setting it up on multiple devices too quickly or what (sounds implausible, but it's the only thing I can correlate).

Also, I work in networking, so I assure you it's not my network. My home setup is pretty flat with a wifi router and coax connection. Nothing to worry about with routing, switches, or firewalls. The only thing I can't 100% verify are ISP issues, but everything I do from work, to VPN, to gaming has worked without issue for years.

• Diesel
    Diesel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi AG,

Thanks for your reply as well. I've emailed you the diagnostics report. I do see some errors in there about connection issues. I wanted to clarify that I use VPN only for work, I do not use it on any personal devices that use 1password.

I did get a reply, but I did not get a Support ID. It seemed like a generic reply email, and also mentioned "to get a faster response verify email", which I did to be sure. However, I'm pretty sure I already did that.

If that turns out to be the issue, I will gladly accept my public flogging. :D

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023
    Options

LOL, no worries @Diesel we've all been there at times. Let me see if I can locate your report.

Edit: It's here.

ref: YHY-66359-347

• Diesel
    Diesel
    Community Member
    Options

I got a follow up email from Support, but it was instructions on how to Import.

Just to update:

This is what happens when I go to the URL: https://start.1password.com/:

I also see this in the logs:
    "SyncFailed(FetchError(Forbidden, code: HttpStatus(403)"

This leads me to believe this is a 1password server-side issue. Curious if you can see anything else, thanks.

• Thank @diesel

I see one of my colleagues just replied to you ~ 10 minutes ago. Please continue the discussion with them. To prevent duplication of efforts I am going to close this discussion as we have a direct line of communication going.

This discussion has been closed.