Should I upgrade to 1Password for family before upgrading to 1Password 8?

Options
jaygraham
jaygraham
Community Member

Both my wife and I are using separate 1Password 7 accounts. We'd like to merge to a family account. Should we merge to a family account first and then upgrade to 1Password 8 or upgrade to 1Password 8 and then merge to a family account?

1Password Version: Version 7.9.9 (70909001)
Extension Version: 7.9.9
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Safari and Brave
Referrer: forum-search:Should I upgrade to 1Password for family before upgrading to 1Password 8?

Comments

• @jaygraham

If it were me, I would upgrade one of the accounts to a family membership now. The other user will need to create a new account (part of the family). Their old Secret Key will not longer be used in this new account. It would, in my opinion, be easier to get 1Password 8 set up as you intended without needing to sign in and out of accounts. This is mainly due to me wanting the potentially harder work first, then moving to the easier at the end. I am sure there are folks in the community who might prefer the opposite.

In the grand scheme of things, it would be about a 50/50 even match between the two approaches. Use whatever method suits your personal workflow. You can do it either way without too much trouble. If you should need assistance from one of my email colleagues, please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. I suspect you may, with two memberships in use. We are unable to answer account specific questions here in the community.

This discussion has been closed.