1Password unexpectedly demanded my secret key.

Options
Netpog
Netpog
Community Member

A few days ago, the app imagined that it was on a new device, and asked for my secret key. (This was disturbing, because I needed to assure myself I wasn't being phished. But it was indeed 1Password making this demand.)

This is the worst kind of bug report: a one-off that I can't repro, nor can I imagine any sort of prior behavior that might explain it.

So sorry to bring you one of those, but I thought I should report this. Perhaps others will say "me too!"; perhaps I'm the only one. (It's a Pixel 7, stock, fully updated.)

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Android 13
Browser:_ N/A

Comments

• Hi @Netpog, thanks for writing in about this unexpected behavior. Personally I have not encountered this or heard similar reports. If it pops up again for you (or anyone else here) please let us know.

A few scenarios where you would be prompted for your Secret Key would be if you recently changed your password or Secret Key, cleared the local app data or deauthorized your device.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @ag_timothy. I'll keep an eye out for a repeat. I know that I hadn't changed password or Secret Key, nor had I knowingly cleared app data or deauthorized the device. (But maybe I contrived to do so accidentally?)

I do appreciate that you'll want to ignore this, unless other reports appear.

• Thanks for confirming that @Netpog, very odd behavior indeed! I'll leave this thread open for anyone who may encounter something similar 👍.

This discussion has been closed.