Usability & Consistency

Options
dragerz
dragerz
Community Member

Hi,
I have some constructive criticism if I may. My family & I all made the leap over from LP. I'm the technical guy who led the charge. A couple of them are on the older side, so required hand holding as they were well accustomed to LP after many years it took to get there.

After a few weeks, the consensus is for one, it can be confusing to have so many entry points to the vaults, app, browser, extension, and mobile. I get them all setup, but in the end, I want to recommend a certain workflow and to use which interface day-to-day to not confuse. Obviously, the app is optional, but with its features & UI being more polished, I like to use it for manipulation of data when organizing etc. Once that's done, for the most part I tend to think the non-technical person has an easier time just leveraging the extension.

One major complaint has been that if the app is installed and they only wish to use the extension, it spawns the app forcing one to log into it. I myself don't mind as it prompts for my Hello PIN, but others don't. They're ok with leaving the App installed, but they only want to use it when it makes better sense to them, otherwise they don't wish to login/run it all the time. I understand why the App's settings link to the extension's settings, but not all seem to. Plus, it's a huge bummer Windows Hello isn't supported in the extension, but I know that to be a window's OS thing.

I understand why the App's settings link to the extension's settings, but not all seem to. Plus, it's a huge bummer Windows Hello isn't supported in the extension, but I know that to be a window's OS thing. Another setting that doesn't seem to link up quite right is around the password generator stuff. For example, when setting max characters say in the extension as its default fill length, it should then carry across the entire platform was the feedback.

Overall, it's been working well though, but I wanted to just throw the above out there.

Thx much,
Douglas

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: Win 11
Browser:_ Brave & Chrome

Comments

• hotoutside
    hotoutside
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

Agreed 100% with Douglas.

It's quite a user experience mess now. Web UI + App UI + Browser Extension + confusing/disjointed Family Account management... just not very elegant when compared to 1Password v6 and earlier.

I do appreciate the attempt to expand 1Password, but perhaps there is a point at which the development team might have jumped the shark? Hoping that this current iteration is just a bump in the road, and a good place to begin a redesign that's more user-centric.

Anyhow, a return to a single, simple interface would be much appreciated. 😞

• dragerz
    dragerz
    Community Member
    Options

Agree, and thanks for expanding a bit hotoutside. I don't date back to the previous versions of 1P much simpler it was.

It may make sense in future versions to have a default simple UI/UX and a switch to throw enabling 'advanced' options for us techies. I jumped ship over to 1P ultimately for its superior security, but had also hoped the pretty UI would make the family have a smoother transition over from LP. It's been a bit of a rough ride so far.

Thx

• KenStephens
    KenStephens
    Community Member
    Options

Created a forum account just to research this issue. 1Password 7 worked very well with an extension login, but now a huge window pops up over everything forcing a login into the app, not the extension. And I don't feel comfortable pulling up my family password so often. I'm literally using my iPhone with face detection to open 1Password there so I can see it to type into my MacBook.

This discussion has been closed.