Feature Request: MFA available: allow entering code

waderlamprey
waderlamprey
Community Member

Today, 1Pass provides a valuable service in the password edit/view page by telling me when a site supports MFA, and providing a 1 click way to enable MFA. 1Pass has turned that wonderful service into an irritating annoyance by the fact that when you click that button, you get a camera view to scan a QR code. Worse yet, there’s no way to instead input an MFA key rather than having to take a photo of a QR code. Besides this being nonsensical in a mobile platform (I’m on my phone, coming from the browser, configuring MFA… what am I going to take a picture of, my own phone?), months of clicking the “enable” button like an insane person as if I expected something different, then dismissing the camera, then dismissing the hint, then clicking edit, then clicking add a field, then scrolling all the way down to one time password, and then FINALLY copying in the MFA code, has finally led me, a power user and big 1Pass fan, to post here with this feature request and ask, really, after over a year of this feature, WTF are you thinking?

Comments

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member

If you're on a Mac, you can drag the QR code image onto the scanner and it'll scan - no need to take a picture :) Although I agree, offering the ability to enter the code would be nice.

• Hi there @waderlamprey

You mentioned:

there’s no way to instead input an MFA key rather than having to take a photo of a QR code

You can! When you register for two-factor authentication on a website, you'll get the option to see the secret as a string of text (usually 16 letters). Copy and paste that into the one-time password field in 1Password and it'll generate one-time passwords exactly as it would if you scanned the QR code. The QR code is simply an easy way of adding the secret to that field, but it's not required for it to work. Hope that helps! :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.