1Password On iPhone 13

crablice
crablice
Community Member
edited February 2023 in iOS

Does 1Password get passwords from the 1Password 7 vault for an iPhone? Is there documentation explaining the scope of automation between 1Password 7 an the Apple environment, ie what can be done and advantages of doing it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ventura 3.2.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member

Does 1Password get passwords from the 1Password 7 vault for an iPhone? Is there documentation explaining the scope of automation between 1Password 7 an the Apple environment, ie what can be done and advantages of doing it?

• Hi there @crablice

Can you tell me a bit more about what you're aiming to do? You asked:

Does 1Password get passwords from the 1Password 7 vault for an iPhone?

If you mean, "Does 1Password 8 use the items you had previously in 1Password 7?", then the answer is yes, your items will be moved over as part of the upgrade process. There's more information about that here: Upgrade to 1Password 8 for iOS.

If that's not what you meant, please do let me know and include as much detail as you can about what your goal is, so that I can get you to the right help. :)

— Grey

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member

I was considering upgrading, and wondered if the 1p7 passwords transferred automatically.

I have a subscription fror 1p7 on the macbook. Does that mean 1p8 is provided for the ios at no charge?

Based on the recent Wall Street Journal article on iphone security it appears using a standalone vault on the iphone is more secure than the server approach. But there still is the issue of a stolen iphone which means I have no security either way. There is also the problem of the server getting hacked like has happened to other password products. I am still looking at what to do with 1p7 and whether to go to 1p8.

• @crablice

wondered if the 1p7 passwords transferred automatically

Yes. Any items already in a 1Password account will show up when you upgrade to 1Password 8. Any other items, which might sync through iCloud, Dropbox, or not at all, will be offered a migration to your account in the process.

I have a subscription fror 1p7 on the macbook. Does that mean 1p8 is provided for the ios at no charge?

Yes. If you have an active 1Password membership, 1Password 8 is included at no extra charge.

Based on the recent Wall Street Journal article on iphone security it appears using a standalone vault on the iphone is more secure than the server approach.

If someone is determined enough to compel you to unlock 1Password, I personally don't think it'll make much difference about where that data is syncing to if it's on your iPhone to begin with. Having a strong account password to unlock 1Password is your best defence against this.

There is also the problem of the server getting hacked like has happened to other password products.

We've never been hacked, and the Secret Key, which forms a critical part of the 1Password security model, helps guard against this. You can learn more about how 1Password keeps your data safe here:

About the 1Password security model

I'll also be happy to answer any questions you might have.

This discussion has been closed.