List which passwords used which log-ins.

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Windows

I have searched the forum but cannot find help on this subject. I want to strengthen some of my passwords but at the same time I have a number of sites which are not sensitive and for which I use a variety of (generic-type) passwords, for example mountain ranges, rivers etc. What I am looking for is a way to search my logins for such a generic password and make sure that I have not used it for a sensitive log-in like a bank account, insurance etc. etc. From what I can determine Watchtower can tell me that I have sites using a duplicate password and list those sites but that is all. It does not tell me which password is being used for which site.

Simply put, I would like to search my vault for all instances of a given password.

Thoughts, please.

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

You can search for passwords or a subset of a password within the desktop app. Just enter the password or part of a password in the search input field and press enter - all items that have a somehow matching password will be listed.

What you can do to improve your password strength in general is this: Click on the Watchtower icon in the desktop app, then click on the colored bar to get a list of all your items sorted by password strength.

You seem to ignore a strength of a password manager: to establish a different randomized password for every login, no matter how trivial the account. Since it's only one click to fill a password saved in 1Password, it doesn't matter if 1Password fills a trivial or a complex password, so go through all your accounts once and change every reused or trivial password to a generated password. You might thing it's not relevant if an account of a not sensitive login is compromised, however your perception of what is sensitive and what is not might change. If something suddenly becomes sensitive, you need to act immediately and change passwords. But you are always on the safe and convenient side to have just everything at high quality complex randomly generated passwords and never have to evaluate how important one login is.
    I once had the same not very complex password for my "unimportant" sites, but this turned out to be dangerous, so I spent one evening about 15 years ago and changed literally all of my accounts to generated passwords.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Tertius3 for your very helpful advice.

• Hello @Andrew42,

Yes, thanks again to @Tertius3 for the wise advice here! One of the greatest strengths is to use 1Password to generate strong, unique passwords, that it can fill for you. Updating those passwords can be done by following this guide to Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.