How do you adjust password generator settings in browser?

Options

I have recently upgraded to 1Password8 and am finding the new UI unintuitive and confusing. Right now I am trying to create a password in the browser plugin and cannot find any way to set the password parameters (length, number of specials characters, etc.) and the default settings (whatever they are) don't work with the site that I am trying to generate a new password for. It used to be that when you generated a password from the browser that a dialog popped up with sliders for all such parameters but I can't find any password generation options at all now. How do I do this???

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Brave

Comments

• Hi @notMyUserName , thanks for reaching out!

In order to access the Password Generator built into the 1Password extension and fill the generated password in the new password field, you can use the following steps:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Navigate to the website you’d like to create an account on.
    3. Type or fill your username or email.
    4. Click in the password field.
    5. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    6. If the Password Generator doesn't automatically appear, click the Menu icon next to + New Item, then select the Password Generator.
    7. Select the Type of password you'd like to generate and make any further adjustments as desired.
    • For something like character length, you can select the "Random Password" option and drag the Characters slider to adjust the length.
    1. Click the Autofill button.
    2. A prompt will appear to save this item. Select the vault you'd like to save the item to, then click Save.
    3. Now that the item is saved to your 1Password vault, click to submit the sign up form.

Let us know how this works for you.

• notMyUserName
    notMyUserName
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Eventually. The 1Password icon does not appear in the Brave toolbar, you have to open the plugin menu first and then there is an entry for 1Password. When the brave dialog does open it completely covers the part of the form that I am trying to fill in where the password fields are so I can't see if it is filling things in correctly or not. When it inevitable didn't get filled in correctly and I couldn't log back into the website it took me a web search to try to figure out how to get the password generator history so that I could see the previously generated password. It just shouldn't be this much of a headache to figure out - and wasn't in version 7 where there was just a password generator history in the left column in the 1Password app. Simpler is not always simpler.

• Hey @notMyUserName,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

To pin the 1Password icon to your browser toolbar click on the jigsaw icon and click the pin next to 1Password.

As for the password generator, 1Password should by default try to suggest passwords that meet the requirements of the page you are on meaning you shouldn't need to access it frequently. Can you point me at the website you are having difficulty with so I can do some testing on my end?

This discussion has been closed.