Edge browser's shortcut keys disabled by 1Password extension.

Options
Netpog
Netpog
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Some of the Edge shortcut keys, such as Shift+Esc (browser task manager) and Ctrl+Shift+T (reopen a closed tab) became unreliable a few months ago, usually not working at all. Until today, it didn't occur to me that it was the fault of the 1Password extension, but it is.

Upon switching off the extension in edge://extensions/ I will always immediately regain use of the keys. After re-enabling the extension, the keys might stop working immediately, or they'll fail after a minute or two.

I have no other browser extensions enabled.

There's no consistency as to WHICH shortcut keys stop working: Shift+Esc almost always fails. Ctrl+Shift+T often does. Sometimes Ctrl+H fails as well.

(I only thought to suspect 1Password thanks to this old forum post, which I found after googling hotkeys stopped working edge:
https://1password.community/discussion/117389/shortcut-keys-not-working-in-edge)

1Password Version: 8.10.2 (nightly channel)
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Browser:_ Edge

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Netpog, sorry for the issues that you're seeing. It is strange that those shortcuts do not work well on your end. They are not shortcuts that are used in 1Password by default. Additionally, they do work for me when testing on my end.

I'm curious, what version of Edge do you have installed? Have you edited the default shortcuts for the 1Password extension in the past? If so, can you check to see if the shortcuts for 1Password uses any of those shortcuts that are not responding?

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @Joy_1P , I can answer some of your questions:

• Edge version?: Version 111.0.1661.51 (Official build) (64-bit)
    • 1Password extension's shortcuts?: I hadn't edited the defaults, but I note that there are only two that I can edit, and that they were:
      (a) Activation: Ctrl+Shift+X, which Edge uses
      (b) Lock: Blank

I changed the activation & lock shortcuts to Ctrl+Shift+Q & Ctrl+Shift+F, which are two of the very few not claimed by Edge. (I wish I could use non-letter characters with Ctrl+Shift, but I suspect that's not your choice to make.)

• Do those also stop responding? Great question! I'll let you know when this next occurs.

I'm now aware that, when this does happen, the steps necessary to recover shortcut functionality are not consistent. So this might not be a 1Password problem, after all! I'll keep trying to figure this out.

Meanwhile, do note the conflict between the 1Password-extension shortcuts, and the MS Edge shortcuts. (That Edge-shortcut page is incomplete, omitting Ctrl+Shift+A, for example.)

When there's a conflict, Edge will (of course) seize the keystroke. Try Ctrl+Shift+X in Edge, and you'll see.

(Or should I open a new thread to report that bad-default bug?)

This discussion has been closed.