Privacy/security issue on iPad using SlideOver

Options
eccgecko
eccgecko
Community Member
edited March 2023 in iOS

When opening 1P using SlideOver there is pretty serious security issue for a password management app. Even though 1P asks for my biometrics (in the case of my 10.5-inch iPad Pro, fingerprint) the window shows in full view the details for the last viewed login. Not major for most logins as the password remains obfuscated of course, but for some of my OTP only entries, this seems like a pretty big flaw to me, that any user could see the contents of 1P by just using SlideOver.

When using the iPadOS app switcher interface, 1P remains obfuscated, as well as pre-authentication when using 1P in full window mode. So definitely seems like a bug to me.

As an additional aside, can I just say that, since updating to it, I have hated 1P8 and it’s transition to electron. I have updated to 8 on all my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, and macOS), but it’s just awful. 1P has gone from an incredibly useful app that just works, and an app I never have to think about, to a buggy mess that is constantly giving me issues. Don’t get me started on the Safari extension on macOS, which is just….well, let’s just say awful. It very rarely works, and on the odd occasion it does, it can be so slow as to be completely unusable. I actually recorded a video showing how slow it was at loading my logins. I was going to upload it to these forums, but I didn’t want to go to the trouble of hiding my logins that were visible in it.

I know the 1P team are going to give the usual spiel of how great 1P8 is and how small the number of users experiencing issues with it is, but anecdotally I’ve seen enough first-hand, as well as on these forums and on other places such as reddit, to be pretty sure that the number experiencing rose steeply upon updating to 8.

Let’s just say that 1P 8 caused me to, for the first time in my 5 years of using and happily paying for 1P, have to think about 1P and seriously look at and consider alternatives such as BitWarden etc, which is a real shame.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 16.3.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @eccgecko! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble with 1Password on your iPad. I don't think that I'm correctly understanding the Slide Over issue, would it be possible for you to send in a screen recording of the issue to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can reproduce the issue and address it appropriately? After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place.

Don’t get me started on the Safari extension on macOS, which is just….well, let’s just say awful. It very rarely works, and on the odd occasion it does, it can be so slow as to be completely unusable. I actually recorded a video showing how slow it was at loading my logins. I was going to upload it to these forums, but I didn’t want to go to the trouble of hiding my logins that were visible in it.

That definitely doesn't sound right. Once we've addressed the Slide Over issue the team and I can also help get 1Password for Safari working properly for you as well. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.