Server administration console entries do not behave like web logins

Options
esquared
esquared
Community Member

I have long saved login details for server administration (aka "admin console URL") using the 1Passwor entry type "Server". However, that fails in at least two regards:

1) There is no open and fill option
2) It can't be used to autofill fields in browser

This makes them much less useful and in the end.

For what it's worth, I am quite sure I opened this issue in the past but cannot find it. @durchanek similarly commented in 2017, from which I have copied much of the same text. I re-read that issue and understand the limitations, but would very much like to see if the kind folks at Agile Bits have any intention of adding this web-behavior filling capability to "Server" entries.

1Password Version: 8.10.1
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ any

Comments

• snork
    snork
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

I second that, the lack of autofill makes the server category a bit useless. I have to have duplicate entries to make use of autofill

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

Sigh - still no response from anyone on the 1Password team. This really is a frustrating experience and turns me off from 1Password. I'm tired of repeatedly providing well reasoned and written suggestions for how to improve the tool, only to have them pass beyond the event horizon of the black hole that is this forum setup. I desperately encourage some change in the feedback mechanism so that we, your customers, at least know that someone is reading these forums reliably.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    Options

generally i find the team to be at least outwardly receptive and certainly communicative and helpful but yes, certain improvements are seemingly slow to be added at best.

I was just googling in an effort to find out how I can eliminate the redundancy or make better use of the server category and I found this cropping up on these very forums like 5 years ago onward.

in the end the conclusion ive come to is the category is all but useless unless you want to manually copy/paste/drag/drop passwords etc over in lieu of the more convenient option using logins. shame.

if anyone can come up with or suggest a use for the category i'd love to hear it, because at current it exists purely so i have a concise list of the things i'm serving or running or have accessible remotely etc. But in all reality I could just use tags on the logins for that.

• Hey @esquared, @snork, @klepp0906,

I'm so sorry that it has taken this long for anyone to jump on this thread.

I agree with all of your feedback and I have filed a request with our product team to see if we can add some additional functionality to fill items other than login items such as in this case server items.

In the meantime, one option would be to create a login item with the relevant details from your server item, then link the two items to help keep them organized.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, let us know if you have any questions.

ref: PB34433298

This discussion has been closed.