Keep the separate window open on RDP

Options
loggor
loggor
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Windows

Sometimes I can't copy and paste username and password straight to login fields when I'm logging into Windows with RDP. So I use the separate window. This one:

Then I drag and drop the fields to the RDP.

The issue is that when you drag and drop it hides the window, and then it shows up again so you can continue using it, which is excellent. But when I'm on Windows login with RDP on fullscreen, after the first drag and drop, the window doesn't show up on top again. So I need to search for the item and press Ctrl + O again to get the password. Has anyone else experienced this? (I hope I was clear)

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.1 (81001023)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• ag_mike_d
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello @loggor,

Thanks for your question and sorry I missed this message. I'm understanding that when opening a new window, Ctrl + O, to drag and drop credentials to a full screen RDP session, the new window is not reappearing to move over the password field.

This is something I do not recall be reported in the past, but may be related to the full screen session. I'd like to ask a few more questions so I can pass the details along to the team:

• Does this always occur while in full screen, or only sometimes?
    • Does this occur when not using a full screen RDP session?
    • While in full screen, if you instead right-click the username and password fields > Type in window > destination window, does the same behaviour occur?

Looking forward to your reply.

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d,

The problem is when RDP is on fullscreen.
    The first time I open with Ctrl + O, the mini 1P window shows and it works. But after I drag and drop the username as an example, the mini 1P window doesn't show up again.

So pretty much:

• Open the mini window with Ctrl + O
    • Drag and drop the username
    • Mini window hides while I'm dragging and dropping
    • First drag and drop works
    • Mini window fails to show itself again on top of the RDP.

Does this always occur while in full screen, or only sometimes? A: Yes
    Does this occur when not using a full screen RDP session? A: No
    While in full screen, if you instead right-click the the username and password fields > Type in window > destination window, does the same behaviour occur? A: Yes, same problem

• Thanks for the quick update and answering these questions, @loggor!

I'll pass these details along to the team to see if improvements are able to be made here. In the meantime, taking the RDP session out of full screen while entering credentials from the new open window, Ctrl + O, is the best option. We appreciate the report!

ref: dev/core/core#20652

• Hello @loggor,

Sorry for the delay in response. I've had a chat with a member of the dev team and have discovered that problems could be introduced, including some missing text if we bring back the prior window before all text is sent. The best advice we are able to provide is to exit full screen mode when you need to enter credentials in an RDP session. I'm sorry I didn't have a better answer to offer.

Do let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We'll be happy to help!

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d I understand, I figure this was a workaround to the autofill problems in the early 1P 8 versions. Although is there a reason why you can't Alt+Tab back to that credential window when RDP is on fullscreen*? You can with the main 1Password window, but not the separate one. That alone would help a lot. Because when on fullscreen you end up with multiple 1Password windows open because of that.

*After the window minimizes to autofill you can't use it again with RDP on fullscreen, you need to open another window.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @loggor, thanks for getting back to us!

I understand that when using RDP on full screen, you're able to Alt + Tab back to the main 1Password window, but not the smaller open window for the item.

I'm not entirely sure why this is, so I've passed these details along to the team to look into whether this is the expected behaviour here, or whether this is something we could improve on. Thanks for letting us know 😄

• 1P_Gem
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @loggor! I've spoken to one of our devs about the issue with Alt + Tab, and they have a couple of further questions to make sure we're understanding the situation correctly:

• After the separate credential window minimises, is it still remaining open on the device in the background, even if it can't actively be used again with RDP on full screen?
    • If you hold down Alt and then press and release Tab, is this smaller Window listed at all, and if so, where is it - for example is it the 2nd or 3rd listed?
    • If it is listed, are you able to use the mouse or arrow keys to activate it?

Looking forward to hearing back 😄

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @1P_Gem. I'll try to put some examples here.

If RDP is on fullscreen and I open the separate window. The window shows up as expected on top of RDP. But after the separate 1P window is minimized, I can't bring it on top of RDP again, regardless of whether using the autofill or not. Alt + Tab or manually picking the window with Alt + Tab pressed, doesn't work, the window is there but nothing happens if you select it.

Now to your questions.

After the separate credential window minimizes, is it still remaining open on the device in the background, even if it can't actively be used again with RDP on full screen?

• It remains open, but you can't make it show on top of RDP on fullscreen again.

If you hold down Alt and then press and release Tab, is this smaller Window listed at all, and if so, where is it - for example is it the 2nd or 3rd listed?

• It's listed, but nothing happens if you pick the window by releasing the tab or clicking on it with Alt + Tab held down.

If it is listed, are you able to use the mouse or arrow keys to activate it?

• You can navigate to it, but the window won't show on top of RDP, it's as if nothing happened.

Now something peculiar I noticed today, is that:
    After you minimize the 1P separate window, if you press the Windows key and click the 1P separate window open in the taskbar. The window shows up on top of RDP, and you can drag and drop info once or twice from the 1P window to the RDP, but after that, it glitches again.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @loggor, thanks so much for taking the time to provide these additional details!

I've passed this information along to our developers, and we'll be back in touch if we need any additional information here 😄

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @loggor, apologies for the double message here! Our developers have asked whether this behaviour is exactly the same whether you're filling with Type in window or drag and drop, or whether there's any difference between the two methods?

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    Options

@1P_Gem Both behave the same. Another thing I noticed is that if you open the separate window with RDP on fullscreen, even without doing anything (just open the window), and Alt + Tab between RDP and the 1P separate window, the 1P window glitches the same way after doing it once or twice.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @loggor, thanks for getting back to me! I've passed these details along to our devs as well 😄

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @loggor! One of our developers has been looking into this further and has been able to reproduce the behaviour you're seeing, where you're not able to get back to the separate window after using drag & drop / Type in window. They've noted that this is most likely due to a bug within Windows itself, but they were able to identify a few potential workarounds that you may find useful:

Option 1: Use task switcher

The bug doesn't affect task switcher (Windows Key + Tab). This requires an extra mouse click, but should work for you.

Option 2: Alt + Tab to another window first

If you Alt + Tab to another window and activate it, and then to the item window, it'll receive focus.

Option 3: Don't use new item window

If you would be alright to use the 1Password main window instead (Ctrl + Shift + O from the item in Quick Access), you can follow the steps below:

1. On the RDP screen, click Show Options at the bottom.
    2. Go the to Local Resources tab and change the Apply Windows key combinations option to On this computer.
      • This will allow switching between host and session apps, even while in fullscreen mode.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns! 😄

This discussion has been closed.