To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Request to disable 2FA on my account

Options
jmb679
jmb679
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Memberships

Dear Customer Support,

In order to fix an iOS issue, Apple Support advised me to "Erase All Content and Settings" on my iPhone without subsequently restoring my apps and settings from an iCloud backup. This means that I have to manually reinstall non-Apple apps and redo my personalizations and settings. So, I downloaded 1PW for iOS. Then, I attempted to login. I got to the last step, which is to enter an authenticator app 6 digit code "to finish signing in to your account". After I added 1PW in my Authy account by entering my 1PW Secret Code, Authy began generating 6 digit codes. But, both 1PW for Mac or 1PW for iOS are rejecting these codes. I can't sign in.

According to 1PW Customer Support at 6:38 AM: " . . . if 1Password hasn't already been added to an authenticator app such as Authy, then you can't add it to the app without first being signed into your 1Password account somewhere. In order for us to disable two-factor authentication on your behalf so you can get signed back into your account, we first need to ask you a few questions to verify your identity . . ."

I answered these questions by 6:53 AM. It is now 9:21 AM and I await a reply.

Thank you for your help. I hope to hear from you soon.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Make sure your newly set up phone has the correct time. It must not be off by more than a few seconds. The mfa codes are time dependent: if the time is wrong, the wrong codes are generated. If the codes are still wrong, check if you have the correct time zone and dst setting and the correct date including the year. Just time isn't enough.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Dear Customer Support,

Thank you for disabling 2FA. I can now sign into my account. If I enable 2FA, can I use a YubiKey to avoid the need to contact you to disable 2FA in the event that I have to "Erase All Content and Settings" as described in my initial post?

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

Or, I presume I should disable 2FA before "Erasing All Content and Settings"?

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

@jmb679

It does not sound like that would be necessary. As long your TOTP is stored (you mentioned Authy) then provided you have access to Authy you can likely reset the device. Make sure before resetting the device you have some way to access the TOTP as you'll need it to relink your device. If you wish you can use a Yubikey.

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

• Make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your 🚒 Emergency Kit along with your password before resetting.

Double-check that all data is present on 1Password.com. If you've been offline and you've made changes you could lose data if it is not on 1Password.com. This would include updates to items you've made.

This discussion has been closed.