Conceal passwords in suggestions and password generator

Options
sashakryzh
sashakryzh
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I want to be able to register and create passwords while screen-sharing and so the viewers won't be able to see the generated password.

Also, I want to be able to generate passwords while seating in a restaurant with a MacBook or an iPad (big screen) without the fear that someone could see them.

https://1password.community/discussion/94334/how-do-i-conceal-newly-generated-typed-passwords

https://1password.community/discussion/6982/conceal-generated-passwords

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @sashakryzh, I can see why it would be important to conceal passwords in suggestions and in the password generator. I've passed along your feedback about this to our team. Hopefully, this feature will be considered and added in the future.

For now, I recommend making the default template for your password suggestions and generated passwords very strong. If your passwords are over 20 characters, and include symbols and numbers, it would be hard for someone to memorize and steal your passwords at a glance.

Additionally, if your passwords are ever seen by someone else, you can change the passwords as soon as you are in a secure location.

I know these suggestions are not ideal, but I do hope that they can help if you're ever in a tight situation. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

PB-31082452

• sashakryzh
    sashakryzh
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Joy_1P, I don’t see this as a working solution, because in the case of screen sharing, I also should hope that no one is recording the meeting (but actually they are usually recorded for future reference).

Additionally, I should hope that no one needs this password, because if it was seen during a meeting which is usually an hour long, it might be late to change the password after this.

I know that I am describing the edge cases, but these cases are very important for many people.

Adding a checkbox to conceal the password when creating it for the first time should be easy. And if the user wants to see it, he could uncheck the checkbox or focus on the 1password's password field.

Also, I want to mention, that user doesn't need to see the newly generated password if the website accepted it, because he can always look it up later in 1password.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @sashakryzh, I totally understand what you're saying, and I have passed along your feedback. I do hope that our developers will consider the feature you're looking for. It's just that now there is not a feature similar to it, which is why I made the suggestions. Though the suggestions are not ideal, they are what's available. They're also optional -- no need to use them if they don't fit your needs.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.