Do I need to activate what looks like a duplicate Safari Extension from the App Store?

jazzman
jazzman
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Today my Mac app Store said I had an update to my 1Password Safari Extension to 2.8.0. As I already have that extension, I'm a little confused because it says I need to TURN OFF my current 1Password Extension in order to update. There's no way to turn it off. You can only uninstall it. It appears to me this is the procedure I went through when I installed 1Password 8 last week. I'm not really sure why I received this update notice from the App Store especially since I already have 1Password 8 with the 2.8.0 Safari Extension. Please clarify.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.8.0
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Please clarify. This morning(3/13) I had another Safari Extension update for 1Password from the App Store. I downloaded it. It was the 2.8.1 update. When I opened it, I saw the attached file. So I went to Safari and looked at the 1Password Extension, it showed 2.8.1. So, my question is, when I get one of these Safari Extension updates from the App Store and download it, do I just ignore the message that you see in the attached file or what? I'm confused.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jazzman!

I'm a little confused because it says I need to TURN OFF my current 1Password Extension in order to update.

Hmm this is strange. My 1Password for Safari extension has updated in the past but I have not been prompted to turn off the extension. That said, when updating the extension in other browsers, it is required to close the browser and restart it. Did you get a prompt to close Safari instead?

I'm not really sure why I received this update notice from the App Store especially since I already have 1Password 8 with the 2.8.0 Safari Extension.

This part is strange. If it happens again, please let us know. In that situation, it would be good if you could send over a screenshot of the window in Safari > Settings > Extensions > 1Password for Safari, like this: https://share.cleanshot.com/Y7KZRQ8D

So, my question is, when I get one of these Safari Extension updates from the App Store and download it, do I just ignore the message that you see in the attached file or what?

This is only meant to help guide you along after downloading 1Password for Safari from the App Store. It typically opens up if you click on the 1Password for Safari app in the Applications folder or from your dock. You can close this window if it opens. To use 1Password for Safari, please just make sure to keep it in your Applications folder. If it is there, you would be able to open Safari anytime and use 1Password for Safari.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@jazzman sorry for the confusion, I have an update! Our developers recently released a fix to a bug which was affecting 1Password in Safari. The steps that you were advised to take are out of the ordinary, but they were required to get things working again. I'm glad that you were finally able to get 1Password for Safari v. 2.8.1 up and going.

As for the message that you saw, the reply I sent above still applies. It's okay if you see that message. You can just dismiss it. As long as the extension has been updated, you can open Safari and use it normally.

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@Joy_1P

Thanks, Joy. Let me get this straight. I am a 1Password subscriber. I purchased my subscription from 1Password and not from the App Store.

My main 1Password App is in my dock. Updates for the 1Password App do not come from the App Store but directly from 1Password, right?

The app for the 1Password Safari Extension is a separate animal, right? I can put it in my dock and open up 1Password for Safari directly from it, right? So do updates for the 1Password Safari Extension come from the App Store?

Let me know if I'm on the right track. Hope so.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@Joy_1P

I may have just answered my own question. When I tried to open the 1Password for Safari App directly, it went to that window I sent you that said Finish Setup in Safari. So, unless you say otherwise, I should log in to 1Password from the main 1Password App in my dock and that automatically logs me in to the Safari Extension. There must be no way to log in to the Safari Extension directly.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2023

@jazman

Updates for the 1Password App do not come from the App Store but directly from 1Password, right?

Yes.

The app for the 1Password Safari Extension is a separate animal, right?

Yes.

So do updates for the 1Password Safari Extension come from the App Store?

1Password for Safari in only available though the App Store.

I can put it in my dock and open up 1Password for Safari directly from it, right?

No, you'll see the configuration screen. Open 1Password from Safari via the browser toolbar or the inline menu.

Typically, folks with the desktop app installed sign in there (desktop) and this takes care of the extension too. This is how I do it.

There must be no way to log in to the Safari Extension directly.

If you have only the browser in use and no desktop app there is another way to sign in but it sounds like you wont need that. I don't want to confuse you. But if you like I can explain. 🙂

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

I have the desktop app, and I sign in there like you. I'm good to go. Thanks.

• Hey @jazzman,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.