Android TOTP codes accepted by PayPal, but not Firefox codes

Options

Steps to reproduce:

1. Sign into paypal.com and enable 2FA on your account.
  2. Use the 1Password Android app to scan the QR code to set up TOTP in 1Password.
  3. Sign out of PayPal.
  4. Sign back into PayPal on an Android device. Observe that PayPal accepts the auto-filled OTP code.
  5. Sign into paypal.com on desktop Firefox with the 1Password plugin installed.
  6. Use the 1Password Firefox plugin to auto-fill the OTP code.

Expected: PayPal accepts the OTP code generated by the Firefox extension.
Actual: PayPal rejects OTP codes generated by the Firefox extension and will temporarily lock your account if too many are tried.

1. Manually enter an OTP code generated by the Android app into desktop Firefox. Observe the code is accepted, suggesting the problem is in code generation rather than auto-fill behavior.

1Password Version: 8.10.1
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: Android 12, Windows 10
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @MonadicHerder, sorry to hear about the filling issues with your OTP on Paypal's website via your desktop computer. I'd like to ask a few questions to look into what's going on:

• Do you have more than one Paypal login item in your vault? It's totally okay to have multiple login items. We just don't want there to be any confusion about which one is being filled.

• If not, does your Paypal login item have two or more one-time password fields? Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom when looking at the item so that no fields are missed.

• Is the time on your desktop computer correct? In the US, our clocks just went forward an hour due to daylight savings. Please head to the website https://time.is and make sure your time is correct. It's really important the time does not differ by any more than 30 seconds, since this is the validity period of your one-time password.

Once we get the details above, we'll be able to assist further. Looking forward to hearing from you again!

• MonadicHerder
    MonadicHerder
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Joy_1P, excellent questions!

My desktop's clock was 2 minutes fast, even though I had Windows's "set time automatically" enabled. Toggling that setting off and on again updated the clock to the correct value, and now PayPal accepts Firefox's OTP codes.

Other sites that used OTP codes weren't experiencing the same issue, but I must have tried them when the clock was accurate.

Thank you, and consider the issue resolved!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MonadicHerder glad to hear that things are working with filling on paypal.com via your desktop now! If you need help with anything else, please let us know :)

This discussion has been closed.