Browser Autofill Support for Bromite (Chromium Fork)

Options
jkmartindale
jkmartindale
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Android

Could 1Password please add Bromite (org.bromite.bromite) as a supported browser for autofill? Since it's a patched version of Chromium for Android (just with some privacy/usability tweaks), it's already compatible with Android system autofill.

The problem is 1Password doesn't recognize it as a browser, so instead of offering/saving logins to the corresponding URL it scopes everything to the browser app itself. It's getting pretty annoying to have to tap "Open 1Password", find the corresponding login, and tap to fill once when 1Password should be able to treat it like any other Chrome fork and filter by URL.

I'm not super familiar with 1Password for Android's internals, but it seems to me like browser support is hardcoded and not actual compatibility checks. If that's the case it should be trivial to support Bromite as a browser instead of just a generic app.

This was suggested back in 2020 but the topic was closed without much discussion.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jkmartindale, thanks for writing in and sharing your interest in Bromite.

The list of supported browsers currently includes: Brave, Chrome, DuckDuckGo, Edge, Firefox, Opera Touch, Samsung Internet and Vivaldi as well as some non-production versions of the aforementioned browsers. It's always good to have personal insights in the feedback we file, so if you can let me know why you're interested in Bromite in particular, I'll be able to pass that on to the team.

Thanks again!

• jkmartindale
    jkmartindale
    Community Member
    Options

My interest in Bromite is it being a Chromium fork that adds back good expired flags (like bottom navigation) without adding much cruft. The only other Android browser that offers Chromium with a decent ad blocker and useful UI tweaks is Brave, and Brave is becoming less appealing as it turns more and more into adware. From my understanding Bromite's been decently popular in the Android privacy space and is a commonly used alternative browser with GrapheneOS.

Moreover 1Password autofill already works in Bromite, so it seems weird that getting URL-based entry filtering is only available if the browser is on a hardcoded list. I was able to get 1Password to treat Bromite like a browser just by making a patched 1Password APK with an extra line in the com.onepassword.android.autofill.KnownBrowser enum. That's all it took. I can get by on this as a temporary solution, though it breaks auto-update for the 1Password app if I do that. Definitely not a solution for the less savvy.

I guess really it seems strange to me to have an inflexible hardcoded list of apps considered a browser, with no escape hatch for the user, if adding support for a browser can be that trivial. I'd appreciate a way to tell the 1Password app what additional apps to consider a browser. Maybe an app setting somewhere with an appropriate disclaimer about no guarantee of functionality with unsupported browsers.

• Hi @jkmartindale, thanks for following up with us and sharing these insights on Bromite. While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I've filed a request to support Autofill in Bromite on your behalf.

When looking at browsers to support with 1Password for Android, we look at a few factors such as install base, interest from 1Password users a well as what the impact of supporting and testing with that browser might be long term. There isn't a "magic number" for any of these factors but they can all play into where we might expand support in the future.

I certainly agree with your last point and think it would be great to add an Autofill option for more browsers even if it was in an "unofficial" capacity. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us!

ref: 31998184

• svn
    svn
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hey friends! 👋🏻 Just adding my +1 to this request, for similar reasons. Bromite is a nice browser and I'd love to use my password manager in it. Right now it does seem to recognise it as an app but not a browser, so logins are associated with the Bromite package name (if I remember rightly) rather than the URL of the website. Detection of login fields isn't always 100% though.

-Sven S.

• Hi @svn, thanks for joining the conversation and sharing your interest.

What you've described would currently be expected behavior as Bromite is not supported by 1Password for Android. A way to work around that is to select the "Open 1Password" option, search for and select your item, then tap "Fill Once" so the item is not linked to Bromite. However, I do understand that adds several steps to the process so using another supported browser (listed above) may be easier.

I've added your +1. Thanks again for your feedback!

This discussion has been closed.