Is it possible to disable drag + drop fields?

Options
pouwerkerk
pouwerkerk
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for more than 5 years, and often have to copy passwords from 1Password into a non-browser context (e.g. CLI or into a Mac app), which means I use the 1Password desktop client all the time, rather than a browser extension. Unfortunately, the copy button becomes a draggable field with a very slight amount of motion on my trackpad and leads to unwanted drag + drop behavior like in this gif—but this didn't use to be the case:

I never want this to happen. Unwanted drag + drop could easily lead to dropping the password in an unintended place including a service that would expose the password to a third-party (as demonstrated here). That exposure would mean the password needs to be rotated. I would rather disable the drag + drop feature entirely since it makes 1Password less accessible to me and seems to impact performance.

Is it possible to disable drag + drop on fields? I vastly prefer the old behavior when I could click and not worry about dragging the field and thus not copying the value at all.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6.3 (21G419)
Browser:_ Chrome/Arc/Safari

Comments

• Hello @pouwerkerk! 👋

I'm sorry for the frustration. We do have an issue open to look into avoiding drag and drop when a user just wants to copy the contents of a field and I've added your comments there so that our developers are aware that you'd like to see this as well.

In the meantime, are you continuing to hold down on the trackpad after you tap the copy button? Or do you have an option enabled to drag items after a single-tap? If you just tap on the copy button without holding down on the trackpad then it shouldn't trigger drag and drop.

I've been using 1Password for more than 5 years, and often have to copy passwords from 1Password into a non-browser context (e.g. CLI or into a Mac app)

A little off-topic but have you tried using Universal Autofill to fill passwords into the Terminal and other Mac apps: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#14747

This discussion has been closed.