1Password 8 iPadOS (iOS) Safari extension does not save selected vault

Options
Jamsk
Jamsk
Community Member
edited November 2023 in iOS

I’ve been holding out with version 7 to let the dust settle and until re-ordering of sections was possible, and I’m now just trying out 1Password 8 on iPadOS for the first time (looked at 1Password 8 on Linux and Windows VMs briefly in the past, but it’s not on my main Mac/iPhone devices just yet).

The first thing I notice, is that despite setting the “Default Vault” and “AutoFill > Show filling suggestions from” settings in the main iOS app (using a Collection with just the single vault for the latter), the iOS Safari extension defaults to all vaults every single time it’s opened.

The initial AutoFill suggestions within the page appear to look in just the one vault, but if you tap the 1Password extension icon in the URL bar, it’s back to all vaults.

If I change the search vault by tapping top left in the extension UI, it works for that moment, but if I tap out and then go back into the extension (even immediately, on the same page without closing or switching away from Safari) it’s back to all vaults searching again (and same with the iPad on screen keyboard access to passwords),

This is problematic because I have shared vaults (family account) which are essentially like archives that will be occasional accessed, but 99.9% of the time, they’re irrelevant and need to be ignored, unless I specifically switch to them (dozens of old Google Apps accounts I used to help friends and family manage for example will clutter up any Google login page).

Background info: I’m not new to the app or computers. I’ve been using 1Password since version 3 on Mac and iPhone 4, so I’ve been on pretty much the whole journey with you. I founded and ran the first (to my knowledge) renewable powered Internet hosting service in the UK from 2005 to 2017 (when I passed this on and stepped away to concentrate on other passions), and throughout, I evangelised 1Password to all our clients, and I still heavily promote it to anyone who starts talking about passwords and security. Version 8 was a difficult call because I could see it was a major shift, and at the start a number of critical (to me) things were missing. Thankfully it’s a lot closer to feature parity with version 7 now, which is a good thing - because version 7 (on Mac at least) was really excellent. 1Password is a superb product, and possibly the single most useful piece of software I’ve ever purchased and supported, and as a bonus, on the rare occasion I needed help at the start, I’ve also had great support, even directly from @dteare

PS: Strange, I also just got the “1Password 8 is here” notification inside the 1Password 8 app.

1Password Version: 8.10.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 16.2
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:1Password8 iOS Safari extension does not save selected vault

Comments

• Jamsk
    Jamsk
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P @ag_tommy apologies for directly tagging you here, but I see you're the most active 1Password staff currently in this iOS section, so I wondered if you would be able to answer, or pass on my implied question above about vaults in 1Password 8:

Why does the 1Password 8 iOS Safari extension not remember which vault you want it to search? If I change it in the extension, I'd hope it would keep to that vault setting until I change it again and/or use the Default Vault setting from the main app (at least as the initial starting point).

The way vaults are handled in 1Password 8 seems so much more confused than in 1Password 7 to me.

• @Jamsk

Thanks for tagging me. 🙂 You're right that 1Password for Safari on the iPhone and iPad doesn't currently include a way to limit suggestions to a single collection. The "Show filling suggestions" option that you see under AutoFill settings in the main 1Password app only applies when using Password AutoFill to fill logins: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

The Safari extension included with 1Password 7 for iOS also didn't include an option to limit suggestions to only certain vaults.

For the moment, these are the best options:

1. Archive items in the shared vaults that you don't need for day-to-day use. Archiving the items will prevent them from being suggested by 1Password in the browser.
    2. Use Password AutoFill to fill logins rather than the Safari extension since Password AutoFill will honour the "Show filling suggestions" setting and only use the collection that you've selected there.

I do agree that it would be useful to be able to limit suggestions to an account or collection when using 1Password for Safari and I've filed a feature request on your behalf so that the product team can look into adding this feature.

Why does the 1Password 8 iOS Safari extension not remember which vault you want it to search? If I change it in the extension, I'd hope it would keep to that vault setting until I change it again and/or use the Default Vault setting from the main app (at least as the initial starting point).

Would you still want this behaviour if, in the future, 1Password for Safari gave you the ability to permanently restrict suggestions to a certain collection? Personally, when I select a vault from the extension pop-up when searching I don't want 1Password to remember the vault selection permanently because then I'd need to continually adjust which vault I'm searching from. Let me know and I can forward your feedback on this as well.

I also wanted to pass along a big thank you for being with 1Password for so many years! We really appreciate that you've stuck with us for so long across so many different versions. We're thankful for the feedback that you provide as a long-time user. We're continually developing 1Password 8 and plan to add many more improvements and new features: Building a Better, More Useful 1Password

-Dave

ref: PB-31892338

• Jamsk
    Jamsk
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P

The Safari extension included with 1Password 7 for iOS also didn't include an option to limit suggestions to only certain vaults.

Interesting. Thinking about it now, I guess I never really directly interacted with the iOS Safari extension in 1Password 7.

1Password 7 on iOS seems primarily accessed via AutoFill suggestions, so the Safari extension felt more like an integration, than something you used directly, because when the browser opens to an empty tab, there's no way to access the extension that I'm aware of, you actually need to have a web page open to see the menu this lives under.

With 1Password 7 on iOS, many times the list of suggested logins prompted was basically unusable, at which point I resort to the app with it's built in browser, which has it's own issues.

By way of comparison; I use the browser extension on Mac as my initial point of interaction. I search in the extension for the site I want to login to and let it take me there. This is a very nice way to work because you know you're going to the right place and it's a one click thing straight through.

Archive items in the shared vaults that you don't need for day-to-day use. Archiving the items will prevent them from being suggested by 1Password in the browser.

I've mused on this but it's the best part of 300 entries. Would this prevent the person these are currently shared with from seeing them?

i.e. is my "Archive" personal to me only? If yes, then not ideal sadly.

Also, I don't think this wouldn't solve the issue of shared vault logins being shown (e.g. my wife's main vault for example).

Use Password AutoFill to fill logins rather than the Safari extension since Password AutoFill will honour the "Show filling suggestions" setting and only use the collection that you've selected there.

Anecdotally, this doesn't seem to always work. Sometimes AutoFill works, sometimes it doesn't seem to acknowledge there's a prompt there at all. I've not dug in on this glitch yet, but one example; it seems if there's only a username prompt, that can confuse it into no response (e.g. they've split the login across pages - 1Password seems to prefer seeing a cursor in a "password" field before showing suggestions sometimes).

I do agree that it would be useful to be able to limit suggestions to an account or collection when using 1Password for Safari and I've filed a feature request on your behalf so that the product team can look into adding this feature.

Thank you.

Another thought on this perhaps would be to have the ability to select your "Main Vault" or "Main Collection" in a setting that is honoured across the browser plugins and the main app.

In the sense of a collection, you could even go further and have a vault order, so items in the #1 vault are suggested above items in #2, above items in #3 etc.

Would you still want this behaviour if, in the future, 1Password for Safari gave you the ability to permanently restrict suggestions to a certain collection? Personally, when I select a vault from the extension pop-up when searching I don't want 1Password to remember the vault selection permanently because then I'd need to continually adjust which vault I'm searching from. Let me know and I can forward your feedback on this as well.

I guess that depends on how the feature to limit suggestions is eventually implemented. I can see arguments both ways on this and I understand your point.

So if a setting made a specific vault the default and it went to that everytime you opened the browser extension (so switching back to the default after a temporary change to another vault), that would be completely fine with me.

I also wanted to pass along a big thank you for being with 1Password for so many years! We really appreciate that you've stuck with us for so long across so many different versions. We're thankful for the feedback that you provide as a long-time user.

Thank you, I do appreciate this and the fact that you do seem to listen.

• @Jamsk

Thank you for the reply. Each vault has its own Archive, so if you archive an item in a shared vault it will go into the Archive of that shared vault. This means that archiving an item in a shared vault will archive it for everyone using that shared vault.

Anecdotally, this doesn't seem to always work. Sometimes AutoFill works, sometimes it doesn't seem to acknowledge there's a prompt there at all. I've not dug in on this glitch yet, but one example; it seems if there's only a username prompt, that can confuse it into no response (e.g. they've split the login across pages - 1Password seems to prefer seeing a cursor in a "password" field before showing suggestions sometimes).

This is indeed a limitation of Password AutoFill on certain pages. Password AutoFill's detection and filling of fields is handled entirely by iOS and 1Password only supplies the data for the experience. If you do encounter a page where Password AutoFill doesn't detect the username or password field then I recommend reporting the issue to Apple so that they can investigate further.

Another thought on this perhaps would be to have the ability to select your "Main Vault" or "Main Collection" in a setting that is honoured across the browser plugins and the main app.

In the sense of a collection, you could even go further and have a vault order, so items in the #1 vault are suggested above items in #2, above items in #3 etc.

Thank you for the suggestion, I've passed it along as well. 🙂

-Dave

• @Jamsk

I hope that you're doing well! Earlier this year you provided feedback that included a wish to limit which vaults you see when using 1Password for Safari on your iPad. I'm happy to share that this feature is now available in 1Password for iOS! 🎉

If you haven't already, please make sure that you're using the latest version of 1Password for iOS: How to keep 1Password up to date

Then follow these steps to choose which vaults you see in 1Password for Safari on iOS:

1. Open Safari and navigate to any website.
    2. Tap the aA icon in the address bar, then tap 1Password
    • If you're using an iPad, tap the 1Password icon in the address bar.
    1. Tap on the icon with three lines inside of a circle, then tap Settings.
    2. Scroll down to, or tap, Accounts & Vaults.
    3. Turn off any vaults whose items you don't wish to see suggested in Safari.

Thank you again for your continued feedback and support, it helps us improve and make 1Password even more useful for you and the community as a whole. 😊

-Dave

• Jamsk
    Jamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Dave_1P that's very helpful. I've just looked into this on my iPhone and it's working great, very much like the 1Password Safari Extension in macOS now.

• Thank you again for your feedback and request for the feature. 🙂

-Dave