Transfer OTP code from mobile phone SMS message to Chrome plugin on laptop

Options

Hello.

I'm not sure if this is a "How do I" (if the functionality already exists) or a "Feature Request" (if it doesn't), but I was just trying to log in to a website on my laptop that will only send OTP passwords via SMS and doesn't let me store it in 1Password (or any other authenticator app).

On the 1Password mobile app it will detect this SMS message when it arrives and enter it into a Safari browser on the phone, but if I'm trying to log into the site in Chrome on my laptop I have to open the SMS message and re-type the 6-digit code manually on my laptop.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it would be really handy if the 1Password mobile app could sync the 6-digit passcode into a temporary item in my online 1Password vault, and the Chrome plug-in on my laptop spot the new item and enter it into the current page (or offer to enter it, maybe, in case I'm on a different website).

The workflow would be something like:

• I try to log in to the website in Chrome on my laptop
  • The site sends a 6-digit OTP passcode in an SMS message to my mobile phone
  • 1Password mobile on my phone scrapes the SMS and uploads the OTP passcode to my online vault
  • The 1Password Chrome plugin reads the OTP passcode from my online vault and makes that available to use in the current page

Cheers,

M

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Transfer OTP code in SMS message to Chrome plugin

Comments

• @mike99

Off-hand it sounds like you are on a Mac and using an iOS device perhaps. The SMS code is a bit of magic from Apple. Unless I've misunderstood the question.

Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

• mike99
    mike99
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Tommy,

Sorry - I should have put some more detail I guess :-). My devices are an iPhone with 1Password Mobile installed and a Laptop running Windows 11 with 1Password for Windows and the 1Password Chrome extension.

I think the feature I'm currently talking about is this, which I thought was part of 1Password but looks like it's actually part of iOS:

Automatically fill in SMS passcodes on iPhone

Basically:

1. You receive a OTP SMS message...
    2. ... which iOS reads the code from...
    3. ...and lets you insert it into the browser page

This works great for phone-based web browsing, but it would be great to get a similar capability on my laptop - I don't know if this is even technically possible, but the thought process is that the 1Password iOS Mobile App could also extract these codes from SMS messages and sync them to my online vault so I could use them from 1Password for Windows when I'm trying to log on from my laptop - e.g.:

I'm probably just being a bit lazy trying to avoid manually typing in 6 digits from a text message into my laptop's browser, but maybe there's room for a future feature in 1Password :-).

Cheers,

M

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hey @mike99

No, not lazy at all. I'd go so far as to say almost all innovations are created to help reduce the work flow needed. I like your idea and you came up with the link I should have posted. 🙃 Great teamwork. (Off-topic I think it's time for more coffee on my part)
    I can't make a promise but I can make sure to forward your comment to the correct team for review. fwiw I too do not know if this is possible, but I can make sure they know this type of ability interests you.

ref: PB-31832879

This discussion has been closed.