Android device as a FIDO security key

Options
larrryseltzer
larrryseltzer
Community Member

I have set up my Android phone as a FIDO key for my Google account. It looks like 1Password does not support this. I see an explanation, but that was almost 4 years ago. Is there any chance of this happening?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @larrryseltzer thanks for writing in! Just to confirm, are you interested in using your phone's FIDO key as a second factor for your 1Password account or to use 1Password on your Android phone as a U2F?

• larrryseltzer
    larrryseltzer
    Community Member
    Options

The former, in the same way that I can use my phone's FIDO key to log into a Google account, and the computer and phone use Bluetooth to authenticate.

• Hi @larrryseltzer, thanks for clarifying that for me.

This feature isn't available with 1Password as we have focused on physical security keys and authenticator apps as well as looking ahead to options with passkeys. While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I'd be happy to file a feature request on your behalf regarding the continued interest in using Android devices as keys with 1Password accounts.

It's always good to have personal insights in the feedback we file, so if you can let me know why this feature interests you over security keys and authenticator apps or how it might improve your workflow, I'll be able to pass that on to the Product team.

Thanks again!

• larrryseltzer
    larrryseltzer
    Community Member
    Options

Yes @ag_anthony I would like to suggest it as a feature. People are more likely to have their phones on them than their keys. I guess there remains the problem of authenticating when you're on your phone. Also I'm not sure offhand if IOS does this.

• Hi @larrryseltzer, thanks for following up and sharing that insight.

I can certainly see the benefit in including the option to use an Android device as a security key. While I can't say if or when this option may be added, I've filed a feature request with the Product team for further review and consideration. Thanks again for writing in and sharing your interest!

ref: 32385600

This discussion has been closed.