To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Using passkeys after losing your mobile device

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Memberships

"Unlike user-created passwords, passkeys are strong and unique by default. They’re generated and stored on your devices, and they’re never shared with our cloud service."

"Devices" - plural. Passkeys are therefore replicated across multiple devices? So if my phone is stolen / lost / destroyed I'm OK if the passkeys are replicated on other devices that are secured elsewhere?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Peter_Wang

With 1Password's implementation of Passkeys, we are building them to be portable between all your devices and platforms. This will help if you lose access to one device but have that Passkey stored on another.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

• Hey @Peter_Wang

You are very welcome, and I hope you have a great day! :)

• Dave Toth
    Dave Toth
    Community Member
    Options

There may be people that only have one device, say a laptop or iPhone. If lost or destroyed, how do you get the passkeys back?

• starwolf
    starwolf
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

I have the same question as Dave Toth and came here hoping to find an answer. Sorry to see no one has responded so far. This is the reason, I would favor an option to keep my master password as a fallback. However, since I would rarely if ever need to use the master pswd anymore, I'd be more inclined to use a significantly longer one.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Passkeys are handled by 1Password like any other data you store: they are cloud synced and can be used by any 1Password client no matter the device, as long as you sign in to your 1Password account.
    You can already see this with the passkeys beta: Create a passkey on one device, then use it from a different device. This already works.

So if you only have one device and lose it, you get yourself a replacement, sign in to 1Password on the replacement, and you have your passkeys synced from the 1Password cloud.

If there was a future function to sign in to 1Password itself with passkeys in the first place, we have yet to see how this works out. Such function is not yet available. You would have to avoid a circular dependency and store that passkey outside of 1Password, similar to how mfa to your 1Password account is handled currently.

I have no idea how this will be handled in the future, because with mfa you could scan a screenshot of the QR code made for backup, while for passkeys I never saw any external backup functionality, in no implementation. Currently, if a device with a not cloud synced passkey is lost, access to the corresponding account is lost. Still using the account password as fallback is probably what will happen.

This discussion has been closed.