Setup 1Password for verification codes on Mac

Options
onefiscus
onefiscus
Community Member

In the drop down for "Passwords>Password Options>Set up verification codes using", there is no option to select 1Password, only iCloud Keychain or Authenticator on my Mac. Is there something I am missing, works fine on my iPhone.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.2.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @onefiscus! 👋

Thank you for writing in. I don't see that option on my Mac, can you post a screenshot of what you see on your end?

If your goal is to use 1Password as an authenticator to save your 2FA one-time passwords then you can do so by following this guide: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

-Dave

• onefiscus
    onefiscus
    Community Member
    Options

• @onefiscus

Thank you for the screenshot! I wasn't personally aware that this feature had already been introduced to macOS by Apple and I'm not seeing it on my devices yet but that could be because I don't use iCloud Keychain or another authenticator app on my Mac. This feature is just for ingesting OTP seeds from apps or websites that specifically support optauth:// links.

I've spoken to a developer and he's confirmed that we don't currently support this on macOS. I've let the team know that this is something that you'd like to see in the future. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#20825

• onefiscus
    onefiscus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave!

• Thanks again for the suggestion!

-Dave

• tamaracks
    tamaracks
    Community Member
    Options

I would also really like to see this. Because if you happen to click one of these optauth:// links it takes you to the Settings app, which has happened to me a few times, since there's no option to disable handling of these links. So it would be nice if it would take me straight to 1P so that these links are more useful and less disruptive.

• @tamaracks

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team. For the time being, you can save one-time passwords to 1Password using the following guide: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.