Create an interface for bookmarking sites as a private, encrypted alternative to browser bookmarks.

Options
bump
bump
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

All the information is already in 1Password to create an encrypted, private, synced bookmarking interface of websites. This would eliminate the need to have my bookmarks on the browser being used who I do not trust.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:bookmarking alternative

Comments

• Hello @bump! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! Can you tell me a little more about how you would use such a feature? For example, are you using multiple browsers and would like 1Password to sync bookmarks between those browser?

This would eliminate the need to have my bookmarks on the browser being used who I do not trust.

Your browser already has access to anything that you open in the browser, including extensions, which means that you have to implicitly trust it. I only recommend using 1Password in a browser that you trust. Or do you mean that you trust the browser but not necessarily the browser's built-in sync service?

-Dave

• bump
    bump
    Community Member
    Options

I am a big privacy advocate. I like to have my bookmarks synced between devices and also know it is backed-up and not just on my local HDD. Using 1Password my bookmarks would be private, safely backed-up, synced, and encrypted. I only trust my data is private online if it is encrypted. I don't know of any browser that encrypts bookmark data--password protected, but not encrypted. Is there any?

• @bump

Thank you for the reply. Privacy is a big interest of mine as well and I've looked into this question previously for myself. Many of the major browsers offer the ability to end-to-end encrypt bookmarks and other browser data but some of them need you to enable special options. For example, for Safari you'll need to enable Apple's Advanced Data Protection and for Chrome you'll need to use a sync passphrase. Brave's sync chain also uses client-side encryption.

Obviously this is well outside of the scope of 1Password so I encourage you to double-check what I've written here for yourself to make sure that it's accurate. 🙂

-Dave

• bump
    bump
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave, I didn't realize the sync chain encrypted data.

• I'm happy to help. Thank you again for your suggestions! 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.