Android Chrome won't use 1Password, only Google Password Manager

Options
cmcardle75
cmcardle75
Community Member

1Password Autofill works in every app that isn't Chrome (i.e. Firefox is fine). Some apps are hard coded to use Chrome for their login screens. These don't work either. Chrome only suggests from the Google Password Manager. Selecting a new autofill service (or even none) has no effect. The Chrome settings have "offer to save passwords" and "auto sign-in" turned off. Unlike the instructions, these options are underneath a cog icon on the "Password Manager" menu, not the "Passwords" menu, which doesn't exist.

I think it was working before a recent update, but I can't be sure as I've only had it installed a week and can't actually be sure it ever worked.

Am I missing some step, setting or extension I have to install?

Moto g82 5G
Android 12
Build S1SUS32.73-112-2-5

1Password Version: 8.10.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 12
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• ag_timothy
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi @cmcardle75 thanks for writing in!

Some built-in password managers are quite pervasive especially with previously saved passwords. Where you see Chrome suggest the Google password manager, have you previously saved a password there? One way to check this is to open Chrome then tap ⋮ > Settings > Password manager. Any saved password would be included under the "Passwords" heading below "Check passwords".

If you have saved passwords, Google's Password manager will continue suggesting them even when turned off in Chrome. To stop this you can use a computer to move your saved passwords in Chrome to 1Password, then delete them from Chrome.

If you have any questions or we can help with that, just let me know!

Unlike the instructions, these options are underneath a cog icon on the "Password Manager" menu, not the "Passwords" menu, which doesn't exist.

It looks like Chrome has changed the menu title since this guide was written. I've flagged this for review by the docs team.

ref: dev/web/support.1password.com#3861

• cmcardle75
    cmcardle75
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. I've deleted all passwords from Google (labourious process without a delete all) and it made no difference (although I needed to do it anyway). Eventually, I found a special setting under the "Google->Autofill" settings that gives Chrome special override access over your actual Android configured auto-fill provider. Switching off the special "spuriously ignore autofill settings not set to Google" setting does the trick. It might be worth mentioning in the docs, although the setting is actually called "Use Auto-Fill with Google". Completely unnecessary as the main published auto-fill provider setting allows you choose Google. This is just a rear-guard action to make the public auto-fill provider selection ineffective.

• Hey @cmcardle75, thank you for the feedback and for providing the solution that worked for you. This is very helpful for us to implement into our documentation and future responses!

• therealfox2020
    therealfox2020
    Community Member
    Options

I had this problem. I found that I needed to go into Chrome > Settings > Payment Methods to disable the "Save and fill payment methods" or Chrome wouldn't show the 1Password options on the onscreen keyboard.

• Thanks for sharing this @therealfox2020! I'm glad to changing that setting in Chrome has helped.

For others who may come across this, you can find steps to help turn off built-in password managers in our guide: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.