Using Menu Bar or ⌥⌘\ (Option + Command + Backslash) to show 1Password app not working

Options

Hi there! I'm love- love- loving the changes being made since 1P8 was announced. The app feels fresh and organized more than ever. Something I've noticed for the last little while though is that using the menu bar, or its associated shortcut Command + Option + Backslash, to open the main window isn't working as it should. Here's what happens:

1. Execute the shortcut or click the "Open 1Password" button in the Menu Bar dropdown
  2. If vault is locked, the Touch ID prompt appears. Place fingerprint on Touch ID sensor to unlock the vault.
  3. The window appears in the foreground for half a second before moving behind the window in focus. This happens right as the shortcut is executed, no matter if the vault was locked. In the case that it is locked, it does this as the Touch ID prompt appears on screen; otherwise it just appears on its own for that brief time.
  4. Command + Tab to switch apps does not switch to 1Password; rather 1Password sits at the very end of the application list.

The only way to get 1Password to reliably open the main window to the foreground is to use Spotlight (or an alternative like Raycast), to click the icon in the Dock, or to open from Finder or the Launchpad.

The browser is irrelevant in this situation, but I included the information just in case.

1Password Version: 8.10.4 (81004015)
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS 13.3 (22E252)
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hello @ianbogue! 👋

I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying 1Password 8, thank you for the kind words. 😊

I can't reproduce the same behaviour, here's what I'm doing:

1. The "Show 1Password" keyboard shortcut is set to Command-Option-Backslash.
    2. The main 1Password window is closed and doesn't appear active in the Dock. Safari is open in the foreground.
    3. 1Password is locked.
    4. I press Command-Option-Backslash and the main window appears with the macOS Touch ID prompt on top of it.
    5. I authenticate Touch ID using my finger and 1Password is unlocked leaving the main window open.

Can you let me know if I've misunderstood the issue? Are you able to reproduce the issue following these exact steps? And can you tell me if you're using any window management apps, macOS spaces, or Stage Manager?

-Dave

• ianbogue
    ianbogue
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P. Apologies for taking so long to respond!

You had the correct steps for reproducing the issue, but this seems to have been resolved in the April 5 update to 81004033. Maybe that's why you weren't able to reproduce it. Just checking again right now, I can't even reproduce it myself anymore via the same steps I listed. The only variable that changed was the 1Password update.

I do use Rectangle for window management, but that's still running on my Mac right now too. I do not use Spaces or Stage Manager as they don't fit my style.

• @ianbogue

I'm happy to hear that the update resolved the issue. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.