Dark Mode doesn't work for flatpak

Options
tunix
tunix
Community Member

Hi,

There is a setting to match system settings for dark mode but it doesn't seem to have any effect for the flatpak package. I'm not sure whether this still has something to do with Electron or Chromium but I really hope that this gets fixed soon as it's pretty annoying to have applications not respecting this setting.

1Password Version: 8.9.13 (80913040)
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: Fedora Silverblue 37
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @tunix! The Flatpak installation of 1Password not following the system theme when set to Match system is a known issue, and our developers are currently looking into this further. I've added your case to the list of affected users for the team to see.

To confirm, does dark mode work if you specifically set 1Password to Dark instead of Match system?

ref: dev/core/core#14621

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @1P_Gem , thank you. I hope this gets fixed soon. Yes, specifially setting 1Password to Dark instead of Match System works for permanent dark mode.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @tunix, thanks for confirming that dark mode works when set manually! If you tend to regularly change modes, you may want to manually set this option for the time being rather than matching your system, and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused here.

Don't hesitate to reach back out if you have any further questions or concerns 😄

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

The dark mode does not work with the Fedora rpm version of 1Password, and on Ubuntu, I have to restart 1Password for the theme to be applied, expecting them to use the dark theme applied from the system.

• AliH1P
    Options

Hey @CharDSon, I apologize for our delayed response. I was able to reproduce this behaviour on Fedora while setting 1Password to match system theme. I've gone ahead and filed an issue for our developers to investigate further. However, I was unable to reproduce the issue on Ubuntu.

Could you tell me a little more about what Ubuntu version you're running and what method you used to install 1Password?

ref: dev/core/core#22281

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member
    Options

I have tested this on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS and 23.04, installed via both snap and .deb.

Here's a demonstrative video of what I mean: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cwpZhqlBu2AwCNSi2xS5_PofefO-n2YK/view?usp=sharing

• AliH1P
    Options

Hey @CharDSon, I apologize for our delayed response. Due to security precautions, we're unable to open external links. Would it be possible for you to send the demonstrative video along as an email attachment to support+linux@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Ali

• CharDSon
    CharDSon
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I am on 1Password 8.10.20 Flatpak and the dark mode is working correctly,

Thank you very much for your support.

• Hi @CharDSon,

You're most welcome! I'm glad to hear the latest version of 1Password for Linux is working as intended. 🙂

If you run into any further issues using the Flatpak version, please be sure to contact us - we're always here to help.

Franky

• tunix
    tunix
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on Fedora Silverblue 39 and have the exact same version. Unfortunetely when I pick "Theme: Match System" it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. :(

• Hey @tunix, I'm sorry to hear you're still encountering an issue with the system theme on Flatpak.

Our internal issue for this is still opened. We greatly appreciate your patience here and will reach out as soon as we have any updates.

Ali