Mac Desktop app not syncing and all browsers say "unable to save generated password"

Options
GeorgeS360
GeorgeS360
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I have the following versions:

• MacOS (8.10.3)
  • IOS version (8.10.2)

I am connected to both a Teams account and a Families account. Recently I have started experiencing that changes made in my local Desktop app are not syncing to the cloud. I have restarted numerous times and that has not helped. Recently the extension in all browsers has been unable to save new passwords or logins. I get the message you see in the attached screenshot. "Unable to save generated password". That message shows either I click autofill or the copy button.

I have tested with the following method:
1. made a change to a login on the web page
2. checked my iPhone and iPad and saw the change sync down.
3. checked Mac Desktop app and do not see the change
4. added a new login on MacOS Desktop app
5. do not see it on the web page or on any other device

I had seen a post that referenced an IP blockage being an issue for a user. I use this at both my home office and my business office and get the same results. I tried uninstalling the app and all browser extensions as well as clearing cache on all browsers. None of that helped.

Help.

Regards,
George

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: MacOS 13.3
Browser:_ Chrome 112.0.5615.49
Referrer: forum-search:sync

Comments

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GeorgeS360 - thanks for contacting us 🙂

I'm truly sorry for any interruption in your workflow caused by the issue you're seeing. We do have an open issue internally regarding the 'unable to save' message, and our development team is actively investigating the situations in which this can occur. I've added your case as an affected user.

At this point, I'd like to ask for a diagnostic from the 1Password for Mac desktop app. This will help us get the full picture, and ensure there is no data loss for any items that might not be synced properly yet:

Here is a link on how to generate the diagnostic: Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/139328/mac-desktop-app-not-syncing-and-all-browsers-say-unable-to-save-generated-password#latest
    • Your forum username: GeorgeS360

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

Additionally, I have a few questions on your specific situation - could you include the answers along with the above diagnostics?:

• Do you have (or have you ever had) two-factor authentication enabled for your 1Password account(s)?
    • Does the 1Password for Mac desktop app lock/unlock along with the browser extension? Or do you have to unlock each of them separately?
    • If you disable the app integration in the browser extension, and manually lock/unlock the extension, does the 'Unable to save' message persist? Here's how to do that:
      • Right click the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar > Settings > Under General turn off 'Integrate with 1Password app'.
      • This should lock the extension, if it doesn't, right click the 1Password icon and select 'Lock'.
      • Then left click the locked icon to enter your password and unlock it.

We look forward to hearing and assisting further!

This discussion has been closed.