Shared vault always require re-entering password

Options
tpaktop
tpaktop
Community Member

Hi,
I noticed a strange behaviour since i have upgraded to 1password 8. When I unlock 1password after computer sleep it only unlocks my personal vault and to get access to any of my shared vaults (team and family) i need to re-enter master password for those.
It didn't behave like that in 1password 7 and i can unlock all vaults with my master password. Is there a setting I can change to make it behave as before?

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: mac os 13.1
Browser:_ MS edge

Comments

• ScottS1P
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello @tpaktop,

Thanks for asking about using multiple accounts in 1Password 8. As you noticed, 1Password 8 unlocks each account independently with its own account password, which is different than how 1Password 7 used to unlock all accounts and vaults using a single master password. While there isn't a setting to bring back the old functionality, it is possible to achieve the same thing, if both 1Password accounts use the same account password. This would enable 1Password to unlock both accounts and all of their vaults at the same time when that password is entered.

For more information, see our How to use multiple accounts support article.

It's also worth pausing here to note that in most circumstances, reusing passwords is a bad idea. But, authentication in 1Password works differently than many other services, so the risk of reusing a 1Password account password is less than one might think.

Authentication in 1Password requires both the accounts Secret Key and account password, and neither of these are ever sent to our server. Instead, they are combined on-device, using the Secure Remote Password protocol. This allows 1Password to securely communicate with our servers, but ensures that 1Password has zero knowledge about your account passwords (and Secret Key). Thus the 1Password servers would have no way of knowing if an account password is reused with another 1Password account, and the data we do have cannot be compared against other commonly known passwords to determine if the same password was to be used somewhere else on the internet. So in summary:

• Should someone use their 1Password account password for anything other than 1Password? No
    • Can someone use the same 1Password account password for multiple 1Password accounts? Maybe, depending on your personal security needs, and the password requirements for any 1Password teams you may be in.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any further questions!

Thank you,

This discussion has been closed.