Where did the PIN option for ios go?

Options
GrumpyMastodon
GrumpyMastodon
Community Member

I was previously using an old version of 1Password for iOS that let me set a PIN. I I upgraded, which was apparently a mistake, as now I have only master password or face recognition. Master password is really long, as it should be, so I don't want to enter it every time, but face recognition is less secure as it can be used against my will. In particular, (not that I commit crimes) but in the US, law enforcement can use biometrics to access data but can't force you to reveal passwords.

What happened to the PIN option, where you got one shot and then had to use the master password? That was a good balance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:ios PIN

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2023
    Options

@GrumpyMastodon

Currently pin options are not available. They may be making a comeback in the future. If I'm not mistaken the option is currently with our beta for testing.

• GrumpyMastodon
    GrumpyMastodon
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

That's great news! I'd be happy to beta test it if you need volunteers.

Edit: and I figured out how to do that on my own.

• @GrumpyMastodon

Act quickly! I cannot stress that enough. Our spots go quickly. I just checked and it seems we do have a few open spots. I do not see a full banner applied to the request to join the beta. I could be wrong on availability. Please check the Security section for the option. I know it was requested. At a minimum you'll have a spot should we need help testing in the future.

• GrumpyMastodon
    GrumpyMastodon
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

It turned out to be really easy to install and get the PIN set up. I followed the instructions here:

https://support.1password.com/betas/

and here:

https://releases.1password.com/ios/beta/

Unlike the older version, the beta doesn't let you use a separate pin but uses the passcode for the phone, but that is an ok solution for me.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2023
    Options

Sweet! Be sure to let us know if you uncover anything worth reporting. https://1password.community/categories/1password-ios-beta-builds

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible that the whole thing is built in like in version 7? Until then, version 8 is not an alternative for me:
    Face ID and if Face ID fails, use Passcode.
    In version 8 if Face ID fails I need the password.

• @bm206

The latest version of 1Password 8 for iOS includes PIN unlock: Use your device passcode to unlock 1Password for iOS

You can find instructions on how to update here: How to keep 1Password up to date

Face ID and if Face ID fails, use Passcode.

If Face ID is enabled for your device, and you enable Device PIN unlock for 1Password, then you'll be able to use your device passcode to unlock 1Password when Face ID fails. 🙂

-Dave

• bm206
    bm206
    Community Member
    Options

Oops. Thx for the info. Now I can switch to version 8. Works perfect.

• I'm glad that everything is working. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.