How do I add a new dropdown field?

Options
MDonovan
MDonovan
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Business and Teams

I see that the "API Credential" item type has a "type" dropdown, and I can see via the CLI that it's a "MENU" field, and "Copy item JSON" shows me the list of possible values (although not as displayed). How can I add my own custom dropdown fields to new items?

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi @MDonovan !

I would love to hear a little more about your use case. Is there a reason you would like a custom dropdown field instead of just filling it out with a custom type when you create the item? Currently we don't provide the functionality for users to add custom dropdown fields, what other types of API Credentials do you regularly use?

Cheers!
    Amanda

• MDonovan
    MDonovan
    Community Member
    Options

There are many use cases. We're just starting to deploy 1P at my company, and starting to build custom template-objects which we'll ask our users to favor in the shared vaults, and custom dropdowns for some fields would help avoid minor typos.

Also, it would be useful if we could make a custom dropdown that enforces its choice list, and refuses anything else, for the same reasons. And the ability to lock down a template's field selection (can't add/remove) could be handy too.

Part of our plan here involves mixing Human and API use of the same data, so enforcing consistency would be very useful.

• Ah, I see what you mean. I think this might belong in the "Business and Teams" bucket, as it's not a CLI issue, but a feature request around items. I'll move it over there, have you brought this request up with your Customer Success representative as well?

Thanks!
    Amanda

• ag_max
    edited May 2023
    Options

@MDonovan,

Thanks for taking the time to share this. I've passed on your request to add support for adding custom dropdown menu fields, as well as enforcement for specific selections internally for future consideration. If you have any additional information about your use case or requirements, I'll be happy to pass that on as well.

ref: pb-33324899

This discussion has been closed.