Autofill has stopped working, which it does from time to time.

Options
spmetivier
spmetivier
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I've been using 1Password on several devices successfully for a couple of years. Lately, Autofill on my Windows 10 on PC with Chrome has stopped working, which it does from time to time. I've used it successfully several times today, on several websites, then it suddenly stopped working. It does this from time to time. I go through the usual steps of visiting the 1Password.com website, logging in, then out, then in, disabling the extension, then re-enabling it, and it works for a while. Later in the day, for no reason, it no longer works, even on sites it worked on earlier today. Whereas earlier in the day, click on a website's username field prompted 1Password to show my logins (sometimes, more than one account - mine and my wife's), I picked one, and logged in fine. Later, this failed on the same website - I have to resort to popping up the extension, copying the username and password, etc., and pasting it.
This have been happening fairly frequently, and I'm not logging out of 1Password, or my PC, or anything unusual.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:autofill not working on windows desktop

Comments

• Hey @spmetivier,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in your browser. I think it would be helpful if we could dig a little deeper into what may be going wrong. When you next experience this behaviour can you send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

I'm happy to provide the requested documentation. My first question is, how do I determine which version of 1Password I'm using? I can't find it anywhere. I'll assume version 7 for now, and attempt to follow the instructions.

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not finding Help > Generate Diagnostics.
    Am I supposed to be using an app on my desktop? I always access 1Password via my browser, and using the Chrome plugin, never a specific app on my PC. (I do use the app on my mobile devices.)

• Hi @spmetivier ,

You can use the search function in the Windows task bar to search "1Password" and see if the app is brought up. Once you've found it and opened it, in order to determine which version of 1Password for Windows you're using, you can click the kebab menu ( ⋮ ) at the top of the sidebar, choose Settings, then click About in the sidebar. The version number will be shown here.

If you don't have the 1Password app on your device, you can just send over the console log from your browser in your email to us and we can continue assisting you further from there.

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure how to send over the console log, or how to capture the appropriate timeframe. 1Password works fine for a while, then when I try to login to the same accounts, it fails to autofill. I have no idea what triggers it, so don't know what I'm supposed to capture.

• Hey @spmetivier,

No problem we can try and get to the bottom of things without the logs, I think I have a better understanding of what could be happening here.

Seeing as you only use 1Password in your browser and not the 1Password app, I'd like you to try the steps below and then test for me to see if things work as you'd expect:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose 'Settings'
    2. Disable the setting that says 'Integrate with 1Password app'
    3. Now test to see if things are working.

Let us know how you get on!

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Steph. I've changed that setting. I'll need to wait and see if the problem resurfaces, as it seems to occur sporadically. I've been using the autofill on a number of websites that I visit often for the past couple of days without a problem. If the problem hasn't resurfaced within a week or so, it's probably resolved.
    Thanks again!

• On behalf of Steph, you're welcome. If you need us feel free to reply back at any time.

• slajeune
    slajeune
    Community Member
    Options

I've had this issue for a while. I have a ticket opened with support but they don't seem close to identifying the issue. This also affects the menus accessed via right click. Right click -> settings does nothing when the extension crashed. One needs to disable/enable the extension to restore functionality. Version 2.10 doesn't fix the issue.

• @slajeune

I'm sorry you're still having trouble. I would recommend keeping up with my colleagues via email. They would be the best at looking at logs and such.

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that didn't take long. I'm trying to log into my bank, and do not get the popup to choose an account from 1Password. I thought maybe I had been logged out for some reason, but clicking on the extension in the Bookmarks bar shows that I'm still logged into 1Password, which pops up the right Suggestions. However, clicking on Autofill does nothing. I'll need to copy and paste the username and password. Disabling, then enabling the extension, and entering my 1Password password makes the Autofill work again. (Note: I did not log out of 1Password in between.

• Hey @spmetivier,

I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble, is it specifically your banking website you are having trouble with other sites? Can you send me a link to the website so I can do some testing on my end?

Thank you!

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

I'm actually having trouble on every site at the moment. Here are several:
    https://www.chase.com/
    https://my.bch.org/MyChartPRD/Authentication/Login?
    https://verified.capitalone.com/auth/signin

and more...

Every site I've tried to access. FYI, I'm still logged into 1Password on this same desktop, and the Chrome extension is still working, it's just not popping up or autofilling. I can copy and paste usernames and passwords out of it.

• Thanks for getting back to me @spmetivier

Let's start with www.chase.com, can you find the item you have saved for this website in your 1Password and let me know the URL that is saved within it? Feel free to send a screenshot but please by mindful to hide any personal information before doing so.

Thank you!

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

Interestingly, there are 2 websites listed. The one that comes up by default is the home page https://www.chase.com/

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

What I mean is that, when I type "chase.com" in to the address bar, I get the https:www.chase.com page.

• Hi @spmetivier,

I've tested filling on the Chase website and was able to fill without any issue when I had https://www.chase.com stored as the website in the Chase item's details. Since you've mentioned that this is occurring on multiple sites, can you confirm if the behaviour continues after fully closing and relaunching your Chrome browser?

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

I don't need to close the Chrome browser to correct the problem. Disabling, then enabling the 1Password Chrome extension, and logging back into 1Password, usually fixes the problem. However, it will fail again some seemingly arbitrary time later. I don't have a clue why this failure re-occurs, and I find the necessity to disable/enable and log in again annoying.

• slajeune
    slajeune
    Community Member
    Options

@spmetivier this is exactly the same behaviour that I am having. The extension just seems to crash randomly. I've supplied as much info as I could to support but they still have no clue why the extension behaves this way.

• ScwB
    ScwB
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue as well. It has existed for weeks now. Based on one observation, it might have something to do with the extension auto-updating. When I last noticed the extension not working, I saw that it was updated. Perhaps it's disabling itself of the update and not re-enabling itself? Or crashing? Just a guess, but this issue is not specific to one user.

• neilsusername
    neilsusername
    Community Member
    Options

+1, having the same issue since I started using 1password a month ago. I think it might have to do with me using 1password across multiple Chrome profiles?

• spmetivier
    spmetivier
    Community Member
    Options

When I close and re-open the Chrome browser, I need to log in to 1Password again of course. Then, it'll work just fine for a while, and then randomly fail again.

• Hey everyone,

It sounds like there may be a few different issues that you are running into here. The best way for us to help provide accurate guidance to get things on track would be for you to send some further details over via email so we can work on each case individually. If you are able to could you please send over the following:

Please attach the reports to an email to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.