Slow to list matching creds when there's multiple (intentional) matches for the URL in question

Options
MikeTheCanuck
MikeTheCanuck
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi gang! I'm thrilled at many of the advancements and native-ish behaviours that 1Password8 provides me on my Macs. I use 1P for both work and personal usage, using multiple vaults and with multiple browsers (Brave, Chrome, Safari, Firefox) - and I use it for testing out internal development web sites that share domains.

The latter scenario is overwhelmingly the most frequent usage I have of 1Password on any Mac desktop, and I've been hoping it'd get speedier as 1P8 stabilised its main features, but not so.

When I hit [Cmd]-\ with any browser tab open to a login prompt, I expect it to be as speedy as I remember it being in 1Password 7 - by the time I've typed that keystroke combo, I only have to wait a half a second or so for me to take the next action.

This works great when there's only a single cred in all of my vaults for that domain - it'll autofill almost instantly (probably less than a half-second), and sometimes (though I can't quite figure when or why) it may even auto-submit like 1P7 used to smoothly do.

When there are multiple creds matching the URL - like with many development sites at work, where I have to switch between logins frequently to compare & contrast dev/test/prod or multiple configs within an environment, I find it takes agonizingly long before I see a list of possible choices from which I can select.

Once thei list of matching cred options is presented via the native extension, I can keyboard \/ \/ \/ without interruption, and when I hit Enter it'll submit the login no problem. Love this part of the workflow.

But the wait - oh the wait for that list to be collated so I can select one of the 2-5 creds, man is that painful. Over the last few months of me paying close attention to this, it seems like it takes multiple seconds, and it takes long enough that I have to question whether my keyboard inputs were even received by the extension. I've repeatedly re-typed the keyboard shortcut, only to realise the extension was just taking its time. These days I'm just resigned to it taking long enough for me to actually watch my attention wander to other apps on other screens, and then I'm lost on some distraction rather than attending to the task I wanted to focus on. (1P8 is hardly responsible for overcoming my ADHD, but this certainly isn't helping me stay on task eh?)

I've been subscribed to the Nightly channel for a couple of months (ever since I discovered the pre-stable builds had included "custom Autofill behaviour" which I'm using with many of these creds that match the same domain), and while I'd hoped they'd spontaneously address this perf issue, I'm now taking the time to offer up my experience as evidence that there's a UX challenge here that's getting in my way - and which is reinforcing my frustration with 1P8 - many times a workday.

Is there any sort of debug interface or logging that I could turn on and upload any metrics that would help you folks isolate this unfortunate perf slowness?

1Password Version: 8.10.5
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Brave
Referrer: forum-search:Slow to list matching creds when there's multiple (intentional) matches for the URL in question

This discussion has been closed.