1Password Android app exits immediately after Login on Android UpsideDownCake (Android 14)

Options
Vicw
Vicw
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Android

Since we installed the Android UpsideDownCake update, the 1Password app on our two PIxel 4a 5G phones consistently exits immediately after we input the UserID/Password, or Fingerprint to login to the app. I understand that the problem may well reside within the beta Andoid update, but it does have a catastrophic effect on out ability to use 1Password on those devices, and others may want to be forewarned that there is an issue.

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android UpsideDownCake
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Vicw, thanks for writing in and reporting this.

I suspect this crash is related to an issue introduced with the Android 14 beta. We anticipate this will be addressed on Android's end but the development team here is working on a fix to help ensure the issue is resolved as soon as possible.

The crash occurs when opening the Search tab either directly, or when unlocking 1Password if it was the last accessed tab. To help avoid the crash you can open to Watchtower then continue accessing the Home, Items and Watchtower tabs. To do so you can long press the 1Password app icon then select "Open Watchtower".

Let us know if that works for you and thanks again!

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy Thanks much for the acknowledement that this problem is known to you, and for the workaround, which works for me, and should suffice until a fix is provided, by Google or 1Password. It's funny, I use 1 Password every day, and never noticed the availability of Watchtower, and I certainly was unaware that a long press on the app icon would offer alternatives like that.

We've been using the Google betas on our Pixels for years, and I think this is the first update that caused such a dramatic issue. I really appreciate the timely and helpful support.

• Thanks for your reply @Vicw, I'm happy I could help!

I certainly was unaware that a long press on the app icon would offer alternatives like that.

I don't use it all the time but it is a feature I enjoy when I do. You can also drag any of the options in that menu to your device's home screen. These links can then be used instead of, or in addition to the 1Password app icon. So if you always wanted to open to Search, Watchtower, Favorites or All Items there's an option to do so.

I would definitely agree it's a dramatic issue caused by a relatively small regression with an API. With any luck we'll see a fix out soon.

Thanks again!

• ResolutePixel
    ResolutePixel
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Vicw

I too had a problem and contacted one password via email. They got back to me and asked me to register for the beta as they were aware of it. Once I installed the beta, the app open fine natively from the home screen. However, it does not work with Chrome with Android 14, but it does work with every other browser. I tested edge and Firefox being those browsers I tested. I we have already submitted to Google in the bug tracker for Android 14 that it's broken with Chrome but it's not just one password. It's all password managers including bit warden and LastPass so it's something that fundamentally changed in chrome on the Android 14 beta and will probably need to be specified. What needs to change on these apps to work with Chrome or it's just something that needs to be fixed in Chrome? We just have to be patient

• Hi @ResolutePixel, thanks for joining the conversation!

The issue referenced above has now been resolved and you should no longer see this crash with current beta or production versions of 1Password for Android.

Thanks for including these details about the filling issue that has emerged with Android 14 beta 2. Hopefully an update from the Chrome or Android teams will be available soon to address this.

For anyone reading through this thread, the Autofill issue appears to be isolated to Chrome while running Android 14 beta 2. So, using another supported browser should allow you to fill as expected.

Let us know if you have any questions or if there's anything we can help with!

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ResolutePixel and @ag_timothy It's been all working well for me since the beta update following Anrdoid 14 beta 2. Thanks for the feedback on the issue.

We've been merrily using beta level Android releases for several years, and that was the first time we got a bit burned, at least for a short while.

• ResolutePixel
    ResolutePixel
    Community Member
    Options

So interesting starting yesterday while I was driving home I was getting Bluetooth crashing and system UI crashing I went to restart my phone and it never came back up for over an hour The one thing I noticed today after it was doing it again and I rebooted my phone that one password now fills everything in on Chrome Yay!

But strangely the one reason I installed this Android 14 beta was to have the separated ringtone and notification volume sliders which are no longer working

• ResolutePixel
    ResolutePixel
    Community Member
    Options

Another update. One password was working earlier today on Chrome and then I just noticed a minute ago it wasn't. So I checked my ringtone and phone notification screen and they're separated again. Seems to be some sort of linkage between that it seems but it shouldn't considering. One is for ringtones and notification volumes the others for chrome directly

• ResolutePixel
    ResolutePixel
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hey everyone just installed the latest beta update and 1 password is now auto filling in Chrome now!!

• GreyM1P
    Options

@ResolutePixel – Thanks for checking this, and yes, we can confirm that auto-fill works in Chrome in Android 14 Beta 3. :)

• ResolutePixel
    ResolutePixel
    Community Member
    Options

Just got an update to one password on the Google Play store I'm still on Android 14 beta but now where my microphone icon is on my gboard keyboard. I have the one password icon on everything so it overrides my ability to dictate anything. I have to turn one password off for passwords in the settings to be able to use dictation

• GreyM1P
    Options

@ResolutePixel

Our Development team have written a fix for that particular bug and it'll hopefully be published soon. Sorry about that!

In the meantime, you could change your autofill suggestions to appear below the form, rather than on the keyboard, which may help:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap the account/collection icon in the top-right corner.
    3. Tap Settings > Autofill.
    4. Tap "Display autofill prompts", then select "Below the fields they relate to".
  • ResolutePixel
    ResolutePixel
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! Awesome! I didn't even know that was there. That's perfect. Thank you

• GreyM1P
    Options

@ResolutePixel – You're welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.