To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Migrating from 1P7 to 1P8 - considerations ahead if I were to make the jump

Options
DeeEye
DeeEye
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Memberships

Hi all

Looks like the time has come as I really need to consider exiting 1P7. With the browser extension being deprecated, slowly but surely us long time loyal license users will get sucked into the deplorable subscription model.

Right now, everything works just fine on my 1P7 setup, iOS 1P7 mobile app syncing to Dropbox. I have a setup that is meticulously groomed that I've used for over 10 years (first started on 1P4). Items are tagged, categorized, formatted etc consistently. I have notes, attachments, scans etc that are all very important. If I were to move to 1P8, do I need to consider any data loss, known limitations or re-work I'd need to do when migrating?

How does billing work - if I were to proceed, I will look at the family subscription. Would all those family members on the subscription have access to each others' 1P8 data?

1P8 Secret Key - is it safe to store within 1P8 as a note or in plain text?

What other considerations or learns should I know from others who made the jump? Right now I'm looking at 1P8 or Bitwarden as I like their self-hosting option.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Everyone on a family subscription has 1 personal vault that cannot be shared. It's completely private. Every other vault on the account can be shared between as many members as you want. It's also possible to let only one person access it. The family manager can manage which family member can access which vaults (access can be none, readonly, readwrite, manage). If someone is allowed to manage a vault, he doesn't need the family manager to set access - he can set himself which other member can access that vault.
    The family manager can be excluded from access to a vault, however he can always add himself back to any vault access with the exception of the private vaults.

I find the integrated cloud sync is perfect. You never have to think about it. It just works. You forget it's there - it's as if everything is immediately and magically appearing on every device on its own. You're relieved from having to manage the cloud sync yourself, including security considerations etc.

If you have a perfectly managed and set up local vault, it's imported to your subscription account as soon as you sign in with the v8 client for the first time. It's seamless as far as I remember, and the imported data looks exactly the same afterwards, so there doesn't seem to be any change.

However, there is a conceptual change how file attaches are handled. It may be you need to or want to rework your file attaches after import to get it even better perfectly organized again. The v8 client supports file attaches in a way that you can attach files to arbitrary items. Not only to "Document" type items. When I used the v7 client, I didn't create many document type file attaches, because it was so tedious to link a regular item with an attached file. In the v8 client, you can attach files to every item, and you might need to rework your existing file attaches and move them (actually: extract and reattach) to some other item where they belong in the first place. This is probably the only thing you will invest time for rework after updating. For me the new file attach feature is the critical feature I wanted to upgrade to v8 for, and not go back.

The secret key should be stored in multiple places. In 1Password itself is good for having it available on a long term storage. However, you need to have it also externally, so you can sign in from a new device in case you don't have currently access to an already signed in device. The v8 client is able to parse the "Emergency kit" pdf on signing in, so it's probably a good thing to also have it available on some (secure) cloud file storage if you don't want to enter it manually. Mobile clients can scan a QR code from an already existing client. I read Apple-based clients have some Apple-internal functionality to make the secret key available without entering it manually, however it's not what I know for sure, since I am a Windows/Android user only.

The actual migration from v7 standalone to v8 membership is described here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

You can test the v7 -> v8 update without losing anything. Just create a family trial account. The trial account is a full subscription account in every regard, just with 2 weeks of gifted subscription. Then do the migration. If all is well, buy the subscription now. If you're not satisfied, you can go back to the v7 client and it will find your old local vaults. They are not deleted on migration, they are just not accessed any more (the last time I checked).

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for the info and sharing your insights

so it's common practice to store the secret key within 1password itself? i understand this is used as some type of 2FA - would this put me at risk at all?

Not sure I follow how file attachments work in v8 but i'll give it a go. opening up corresponding PDFs (for passports, etc is a key use case for me). I like how I can share on a secured link to other users a view link - that's a nice v8 feature.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Storing the secret key within 1Password itself is for having it stored reliably in one place you never forget. It's similar to storing physical spare vault keys in the physical vault itself.

This discussion has been closed.