Chrome 1Password plugin keeps asking for a password that's different from my local 1Password?

Options
hotoutside
hotoutside
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

The classic plugin seems to have recently stopped working, so I installed the new plugin and I can't understand the new complex workflow.

Steps I take:
1. Unlock my 1Password application on macOS with my master password
2. Open Chrome browser
3. Click on the plugin icon

Expected Result:

• Plugin should automatically unlock since my local application is already unlocked (as it always had for years)

Actual Result:

• Plugin asks me for a password 🤬
  • The same master password I used to unlock my local application does not unlock it. 🤯
  • No option for Touch ID

In the past, when I unlocked the 1Password application, the browser plugin just worked. The "new" version is frankly infuriating... any pointers as to what's going on?

1Password Version: 7.9.10
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1
Browser:_ Chrome 112.0.5615.137

Comments

• hotoutside
    hotoutside
    Community Member
    Options

And for clarity, both 1Password > Accounts and Chrome > Extensions > 1Password > Accounts & Vaults show the exact same user ID.

• Hey @hotoutside,

It sounds like 1Password in your browser is having a hard time connecting with your 1Password app. Before we go any further I recommend you start by upgrading to 1Password 8 for the best experience. Here is some more information along with a link to install it: 1Password 8 for Mac.

Let me know how you get on and if you are still having trouble so we can continue troubleshooting.

• hotoutside
    hotoutside
    Community Member
    Options

Where did local vault support land for 1P8? If there are no local vaults, I don't know whether I can "upgrade".

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hotoutside I'm afraid that 1Password 8 does not support local vaults. I'd recommend you take a look at this post from our founder, Dave Teare, explaining this: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/602340/#Comment_602340

I do recommend upgrading to 1Password 8 if you can, as 1Password 7 is no longer supported. Please let us know if you have any further questions about this.

This discussion has been closed.