SSH Keys from PuTTY invalid

Options
Virtus
Virtus
Community Member
edited April 2023 in SSH

I can't seem to store SSH keys generated from PuTTY Key Generator.
According to the support articles, 1Password only supports RSA with certain bits and Ed25519.

This is not a problem as PuTTY can generate these for me, but I cannot save the files it generates in 1Passwords, stating that it's invalid.
I'd be fine generating them from 1Password itself, but it doesn't seem to support passphrase, which is a PuTTY thing, but I'd still like to store that file.

For now I have to store an additional file field along with they key info generated by 1PW.

1Password Version: 8.10.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 19045.2846
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Virtus, thank you for reporting this issue.

This is not a problem as PuTTY can generate these for me, but I cannot save the files it generates in 1Passwords, stating that it's invalid.

This is indeed a problem and we'll investigate if we can make 1Password support importing keys generated by PuTTY.

Meanwhile, I advise you to generate your keys directly with 1Password.

I'd be fine generating them from 1Password itself, but it doesn't seem to support passphrase, which is a PuTTY thing, but I'd still like to store that file.

The 1Password SSH key generator does not require you to set a password on the key, because all SSH keys you store in 1Password are already encrypted with your secret key and master password (just like any other item). So encrypting them again wouldn't bring more benefits. Just like you now have to supply your SSH key's password when using it, the 1Password app will require you to supply your master password or biometrics whenever you try to use keys stored in it in order to decrypt it.

If you ever want to export one of your SSH keys from 1Password and store it directly on disk, the 1Password app will prompt you to supply a password with which the key file will be encrypted.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.