I cannot add an extension in Safari.

Options
dritze
dritze
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I am using Safari 16.4.1 with 1Password 8.10.1. When I go to Safari Extensions, I do not see any extension to add. I have opened 1Password for Safari from the App Store but nothing happens. I have closed and reopened Safari and also restarted my computer with no success.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: None
OS Version: Monterey 12.6.5
Browser:_ Safari 16.4.1
Referrer: forum-search:cannot add extension to Safari

Comments

• Hi @dritze, thanks for reaching out!

Can you try following these steps as they typically resolve the issue you're experiencing:

1. Ensure that you are running the latest version of 1Password 8 for Mac. I've included a guide on how to check below:
    1. Open the 1Password app for Mac. This will open the desktop app version.
    2. Click "Help" in the macOS top menu bar and choose "Troubleshooting", followed by "Fix Missing Safari Extension".

Let us know if you can then see the extension available in Safari's Extensions page afterwards.

• dritze
    dritze
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, your suggestions resolved my problem. Thank you

• Thanks for the update @dritze, let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• AntonioM
    AntonioM
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

The above solution did not work for me. I'm running 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007041) and Safari Version 16.5 (18615.2.9.11.4) on a 2020 MacAir M1 under MacOS 13.4 (22F66)

This video 1Password provides on youTube is out of date. For example, it says to use Safari-->Preferences... yet that no longer exists (at least not on my setup; it's "Settings..." now). Confusingly, right above that menu items there is a "Safari Extensions..." item which sends you to the App Store, making you wonder if you're supposed to use that.

Confused, I searched and found this page. As I wrote, the instructions above did not work --> no "Safari" ever showed up in the Extensions area of the Safari "settings" despite choosing "Troubleshooting", followed by "Fix Missing Safari Extension" in the Desktop app.

• Hey @AntonioM,

Can you confirm that you have first installed 1Password for Safari from here: 1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store?

I'm sorry that you had a hard time with the instructions, you're right in the latest versions of MacOS 'Preferences' is now 'Settings'.

If you can see the '1Password for Safari' app in your extensions folder and it's still not showing up in Safari > Settings > Extensions after clicking that "Fix Missing Safari Extension" can you try these steps instead:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac
    3. Paste the following into Terminal and then press enter to run the command: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app
    4. Open Safari > Settings > Extensions and try to enable 1Password again.

Let us know how you get on.

• AntonioM
    AntonioM
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@steph.giles Thank you. Although your reply came in less than 30 minutes, I had already decided to try installing via the 1Password for Safari extension via the App Store. This step (though obvious to me now) was not part of the step by step instructions you supplied above and I for some reason thought the extension would show up within Safari -- perhaps as a part of the initial 1Password install.

Also, I don't see any mention of the App Store in the out of date 1Password video I mentioned. But I suppose I could have missed it.

Anyway, I learned something and it's working now. In fact, I've now installed it on 3 Macs of my family plan.

• Thanks for the update @AntonioM, I'm sorry for the confusion.

I'm glad you are now all set, let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.