Re-Used Passwords

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member

Watchtower tells me how many and which records share a password. However, it does not list which sites have which password. For the sake of convenience I use a few somewhat generic passwords for sites which I do not consider to be very sensitive. Is there a way for me to enter a password, (For example, Easter) and have either Watchtower or 1P show me which logins use that passowrd. ample

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Install the desktop app. The desktop app will show a listing of all matching entries from Watchtower - just click on the "Show Objects" button.
    And with the desktop app, you can search for passwords by just entering the password (or parts of it) into the search field, and show all matching entries.

• 1P_Gem
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @Andrew42! As @Tertius3 (thanks for the assist!) mentions, this is possible in the 1Password desktop app. When you click on reused passwords in Watchtower in 1Password 8, the item list will be grouped by password. Alternately, searching the password itself in the search bar and pressing Ctrl + Enter will give you a list of all items using that password:

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns! 😄

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

@Tertius, @1P_Gem. Thank you for that advice. I have followed it and it raises further questions:

1. I search using a password I know I have used. The result is 79 records. I check one of them and that password is nowhere to be found in the record. My immediate thought was the Watchtower is also searching in the password history, but that record has no password history or none that shows. So why is Watchtower listing it?
    2. I checked two other records and found they both use the identical password For one record Watchtower said the password was good for the other that is was weak?? They are the same password!!
    3. If you have two passwords one of which is an extension of the other: for example ABCDEFG & ABCDEFG123 and you search for first shorter one does Watchtower also list those with the second longer password? It looks to me like the latter but I'm not sure. Because when I repeat an identical search in Watchtower it sometimes comes up with a different number of records.

Thanks for your help.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @Andrew42, thanks for getting back to me!

1. I search using a password I know I have used. The result is 79 records. I check one of them and that password is nowhere to be found in the record. My immediate thought was the Watchtower is also searching in the password history, but that record has no password history or none that shows. So why is Watchtower listing it?

It's hard to say what might be causing so many seemingly irrelevant results - you may want to check whether the password is something that might be found elsewhere, for example as part of the name of one of your vaults or tags, or an item category.

If you click on Watchtower in the sidebar, click Show Items under the Reused Passwords section, and look down the item list for the heading for this particular password (the first and last character will be shown, with 8 asterisks in between - for example ABCDEFG would appear as A********G), it will list all of the items with that password specifically. Do you see a more useful list of items there?

1. I checked two other records and found they both use the identical password For one record Watchtower said the password was good for the other that is was weak?? They are the same password!!

Do you remember how these passwords were created? The password strength rating for each password takes into account how the password was originally created - for example an item with a password created using 1Password's password generator will be rated higher than if you take the exact same password and copy and paste it into another item. This is because 1Password knows how the generated password was created and can guarantee that it's random, whereas a copied password comes from your device's clipboard, so 1Password now has no way to know where it came from.

1. If you have two passwords one of which is an extension of the other: for example ABCDEFG & ABCDEFG123 and you search for first shorter one does Watchtower also list those with the second longer password? It looks to me like the latter but I'm not sure. Because when I repeat an identical search in Watchtower it sometimes comes up with a different number of records.

Searching for ABCDEFG should also list items with the password ABCDEFG123 as well. How are you searching when you're seeing different numbers of results? Are you using Enter or Ctrl + Enter? Do you make sure to have the same 1Password account or collection selected at the top of the sidebar each time you search?

This discussion has been closed.