Same password, many sites, different username iterations

Options

Hi, I have a situation where, for work, we have internal systems that I sign into independently with the same password (conceptually they are the same account). Not all of these systems share the same sign in scheme, some use just a username, others an email. Most of them share some second level domain. Is there a good way to keep these as a single entry in 1password, but be able to handle these various username/email schemes? Currently, I use my username, but that means I have to manually edit in the case the form requests my email. My motivation is to reduce the number of copies I have of the same password to 1 (maybe 2 if needed), and not have to manually intervene at sign on time. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• AlbertoP
    AlbertoP
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I've the same problem, multiple access with different userid to different sites but sharing the same password. On Keepassxc I usned until now there was the possibility to use an internal reference to an entry where the password was saved. So changing this entries automatically all reference will take the new password.
    On 1Password this seems not exist, have you any suggestion on how to solve this issue ?

Thanks.

Alberto.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @mferrall, sorry that we missed your message. If the websites/services are independent, and are not tied to each other on the backend or via some authentication protocol, it's best to create separate logins for them in 1Password and use different passwords for each one. This is from a security standpoint. 1Password does make it easy to generate, save, and fill unique passwords so that should help.

That said, if you wish to use the same username and password for these websites/services, then you can edit the login that you want to use and add additional URLs to it. 1Password will suggest that login on any websites listed in the login.

For the websites/services that require an email address, that will be more tricky. You can create a separate login to handle those. Please just note that not all websites use the same name or id for the email address field, so the ability to fill with this single login may vary. You can always copy/copy or click/drag your email address from the login to the website if filling doesn't work.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hey @AlbertoP, there's not a way to change the password for multiple logins at once. Even if the same password is used, 1Password treats all logins as separate entities. Furthermore, if your logins have different user IDs, then it would not be a good idea to combine them into one generic and all encompassing login item. Filling will likely not work well.

For the best security, I recommend using 1Password to change and update your passwords so that they can be secure and unique: https://support.1password.com/generate-website-password. There's also an option to use our password generator to create custom passwords: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/#create-a-custom-password. If you need any help with that, let me know.

• AlbertoP
    AlbertoP
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Joy_1P,
    I had already applied you first suggestion to group the entries with the same credential into one entry with multiple URLs and this reduced drastically the number of entries (very usefull the possibility to modifity the URL descriptio).
    About the multiple update it was an idea but reducing the number of entries the issue is reduced so I can manage it manually.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Bye.

• Thank you for getting back to us @AlbertoP.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• alanshutko
    alanshutko
    Community Member
    Options

We have a similar problem at work. A number of items are tied to Active Directory authentication. However, they use different versions of usernames. Some use DOMAIN\username, others username@domain. But since they are in AD, they all have the same password.

• Hey @alanshutko,

My recommendation would be to use separate items for each of these. Even if the same password is used. If your logins have different usernames, then it would not be a good idea to combine them into one generic and all encompassing login item as they may not fill well.

Let us know if you have any questions.

• alanshutko
    alanshutko
    Community Member
    Options

That works, but it causes other problems. 1p will complain about duplicate passwords and it will be more likely that the items will get out of sync (especially for places that ignore NIST guidelines and enforce password expiration).

• Thank you for getting back to me @alanshutko.

I can see where you are coming from, I have put in a request with our product team to see if there's a way we can better handle these types of scenarios in a future update.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

ref: PB34029771

This discussion has been closed.