1Password locks for Chrome update before Chrome says there's an update

Options
mnearents
mnearents
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

One thing that bothers me is that 1Password will lock when there's a Chrome update, so you have to enter your password every time. But it does this before Chrome even shows me there's an update. I don't update chrome until there's an indicator next to my avatar in the top right toolbar. But 1Password becomes really cumbersome to use for about a week when an update becomes available, but the update isn't made visible by Chrome.

And yeah, I could just go update chrome, but I'm usually in the middle of work and since the update isn't obvious yet, I will forget until that indicator shows up. I'm entering my master password every time I use 1Password during this time and can't use fingerprint ID.

Can we only require master password unlock once the update is visible to us?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @mnearents,

I'm sorry for the delayed response, it sounds like 1Password in your browser may have been having a hard time connecting with your 1Password app.

If you experience this behaviour again instead of waiting for the update, can you try restarting your browser and 1Password with the below steps and let me know if it gets things back on track?

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if it is working properly.

Let me know how you get on.

• mnearents
    mnearents
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I have experienced this issue several times since posting the original comment. It happens anytime chrome has an update available, even if that update isn't visible in the toolbar yet.

I also see another user has posted the same frustration: https://1password.community/discussion/142203/1password-with-chrome-weekly-updates-and-desktop-integration-is-pain

I tried your steps just now and will report back on whether it works. But it seems like when there's a chrome update available, 1Password simply doesn't allow fingerprint unlock. The message in 1Password specifically says that I must enter my master password because there's a chrome update, so I don't think it's a connection issue, I think it's intentional.

• cherrydrpepper
    cherrydrpepper
    Community Member
    Options

@mnearents Yes, it's "working as intended" that anytime there's a Chrome update 1Password fingerprint unlock breaks.

The solution of restarting the browser is exactly the core of the user experience problem. Very frequently I have in-flight work and restarting the browser is an interruption to my workflow that I should be able to choose when I do, without losing functionality until I do. Hopefully we can get some traction on the long-time pain point now that it is starting to happen way more frequently.

• mnearents
    mnearents
    Community Member
    Options

Here it happened again. I can't even enter my master password now, which is even worse than before. And @cherrydrpepper yes, I hate the interruption to my workflow. There's nothing I want to do less than close 15 browser tabs of things I'm working on or want to get to later in order to update Chrome.

• LydiaH1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@mnearents @cherrydrpepper I apologise for any inconveniences this may be causing. After an update 1Password in the browser loses connection with the desktop app so we have to re-establish that connection. Since 1Password does not have permission to terminate and relaunch your browser, this has to be carried out manually.

I have passed on your feedback to our Product team to see if we can implement any improvements.

Let me know if you have any further questions in the meantime.

ref: PB35922829

ref: PB35922702

This discussion has been closed.