To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Difference between Default Vaults: "Personal" vs "1Password" Vaults ?

Options
einstem
einstem
Community Member

Ok.. I just upgraded from 1Password7 to 1Password8 and registered for a 1Password account.

As part of installing 1Password8, it gave me the option to import all my passwords, which seems to have worked fine.

So, the only question I have now is that when I am in 1Password, it says I have two different "Default Vaults: "Personal" and "1Password".

What is the difference between the "Personal" and "1Password" vaults, and which should I set as my "Default" moving forward?

Thanks.

Michael

1Password Version: 8.10.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

The "Personal" vault is hardcoded and the default vault of a membership. It's for general storage. You cannot even delete it. A "1Password" vault is not created by the default installation. If you imported a standalone vault, it is probably what has become of your existing standalone vault at import. I would take the opportunity to check all items for validity, and if I still need them, then move all valid items to the personal vault. Then, after checking all my valid items are actually in the personal vault, I would delete the 1Password vault, so every valid item is in the now default personal vault.

• einstem
    einstem
    Community Member
    Options

ok.. thanks.. I "imported" my passwords from 1Password 7 where I had everything synched with Dropbox, so that is probably what happened. I will move them all to "Personal" and just use that.

And just to confirm, I don't need DropBox anymore since everything is stored on 1Password.com.. correct?

Thanks!
    Michael

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, you don't need Dropbox any more. The v8 client exclusively uses the built in cloud supplied by 1Password. Actually, you cannot use Dropbox any more, since you cannot configure any external sync.

• Hi @einstem,

@Tertius3 pointed you in the right direction (thank you!).
    Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else we can help you with! 😀

This discussion has been closed.