Difficult to create a new Login when there are already items for the site

Options
finwe
finwe
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

When I create a new registration for a site where I already have passwords in a vault, only these items are suggested in password fields.

To generate a password, I need to find a password generator in the depths of either the main program or the browser extension (which on Mac in Firefox can be really deep), and what's worse, the new item is then not offered to be saved, so I have to find the password generator again, go to history and create an item manually from the last generated password.

This is quite annoying, could the "Use suggested password" be at the bottom of suggestions list all the time? And an item offered to be saved/update when the suggested password is used?

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: MacOS 12.6.5
Browser:_ Firefox 112.0.2

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@finwe I just did this, and I found it easy to do. For me, 1Password detected that I wanted to register a new account instead of just logging in, helped me filling the new user form with my identity item, and as password it offered a just generated new one. It didn't offer the existing password, so I autofilled the generated password.
    Then 1Password offered to update the existing record. There is a "back" arrow at the item title I clicked, and 1Password offered the choice to save a new record or update the existing. I chose to create a new record, and now I have 2 records. Exactly what I wanted. It wasn't necessary to explicitly dig up some password or password generator, it all worked seamless with the choices offered by the browser extension.

If 1Password doesn't recognize that you're about to register a new account instead of just logging in, so it offers a generated password instead of an existing password, that's probably a flaw in 1Password's handling of that special website, and you should report this and give the website you're trying to register a second account.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

@Tertius3 Good for you.

Yet I'd rather have it working out of the box with all sites instead of reporting every third (at least from the 1Password perspective) website and waiting for it to be "fixed" somehow.

BTW, the described behaviour is the same on Windows.

• Hey @finwe,

If you are signing up for a second account on a website via a registration form then you should see the suggested password being offered beneath the field. The only time you won't is if it is a login form.

Alternatively if you are on a login page and you start typing in your credentials for a secondary account (that is not already saved in your 1Password) you should see a 'Save in 1Password' prompt appear beneath the field.

Can you provide me with an example website where this is not working as expected or a use case whereby you would like to generate a password without being on the sign up form so I can fully understand. I would be happy to pass this information on to our product team for consideration.

Thank you!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

The last time it happened was at https://www.czc.cz/registrace/nova - does 1password by any chance discover registration forms by double password field? They are becoming much less common.

• Hey @finwe,

I have done some testing and strangely it actually looks like 1Password has a hard time detecting that password field when the website is in Czech. I have filed an issue with our development team to take a look to see if we can improve the behaviour on this page in a future update.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

ref: dev/core/core#21947

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, now I ran into this issue while creating a password for a new user in Google Workspace. I am afraid I cannot share the site as the administration is behind authentication. Though yes, the admin is also in Czech.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@finwe we are sorry that you are encountering this issue again. We would love to report this instance of the issue to our developers. Would you be willing to share the website details with us through email?

We do understand if you are unable to share the details, but if you find that it's possible to share it later on, here's how to do it:

1. Navigate to the page on the website where the affected field exists.
    2. On the one-time password page, right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    3. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
    4. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    5. Attach the downloaded .json file to your next reply.

From there, attach the .json file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

If you send an email, you will quickly receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi, sure, I will provide the details when I have the next opportunity to add a new user in Google Workspace.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@finwe sounds good, we look forward to hearing from you about it.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, the reference ID is [#BGQ-83963-536]

• Thanks @finwe, I have located your ticket someone will be in touch soon.

ref: BGQ-83963-536

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Again, a new password is not offered when creating a new user in Microsoft 365 Admin center. This time, the administration is in English.

Furthermore, I cannot find the Collect Page Structure item in the toolbar menu - Get help item just redirects to help website.

• I'm sorry for the trouble you are having on Microsoft 365 @finwe.

When you right click and choose 1Password > Help do you see two options 'Get help' and 'Collect Page structure'?

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, thanks, Steph, it's in the context menu! Did this change? I tried to follow the steps from Joy before but to no avail.

Anyway, I will send the data as soon as I again get to a computer that shows the page in english.

• Thanks for getting back to me @finwe, I apologise for the confusion with the steps.

I look forward to hearing from you!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Just sent, the reference is [#VEB-75275-322]

• Hello @finwe,

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I've located the page structure and we will get in touch with you as soon as possible. Please check your inbox and let's continue the conversation there. To prevent having the conversation in
    two different places at once I'm closing this thread.

-Evon

ref: VEB-75275-322

This discussion has been closed.